5 Wines to Pair with Indian Food Classics

« Prev Next » 3 of 6
Chicken Tikka Masala
The least authentic of the dishes but also the most popular and familiar. Tomatoes are not native to India and some theories peg the invention of the dish to 20th century England, where cream and tomato soup were combined to make a mild but savory curry that would not terrify the British palate. The ingredients and preparation vary wildly across the world, and you’re probably stuck thinking that the place you first had it represents the one true recipe. Chicken and tomato sauce makes me think of Italy, so let’s go with a 2012 DaVinci Pinot Grigio from Alto Adige/Trentino, Italy (90% Pinot Grigio, 10% Chardonnay $12, 12.5% abv.)

There’s a lot of boring Pinot Grigio out there, but I’m always excited to encounter one with a little more power. Additionally, rice dishes are popular in Northern Italy where this particular wine originates. This bottle shows peach and apricot with a touch of buttery popcorn underneath, making me think that the Chardonnay saw a little oak and gives the wine a little deeper structure. Bright fruit, tart acidity, and a medium finish. Serve well-chilled for that casual mid-week dinner in front of the television.

Photo credit: Jaalibean

Comments

• Great. I would love to have these dishes prepared and served each wine choices you have picked.thank you for opening me up to a new way of paring.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

• Snooth User: pamela2

Have you ever tried Caymus Connumdrum with Indian food? I did a few years ago as part of a pairing exercise to match this wine with the most typical take out foods of NY and my favorite was the Chicken Tikka Masala.
    Try it and have fun!

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM

• Snooth User: cma238

Pamela2 that sounds wonderful! Any options for...naan & cheese?? I know paneer is a cheese but what else?

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM

• Snooth User: pamela2

Naan, even with cheese, is very mild: any light red or white will do. I'm biased to Beaujolais this time of year but this one is an easy pairing. I love that bread (and I am French so it says a lot), but usually get cheated by my kids who jump on it before we have anytime to get some.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM

• Snooth User: zinfandel1

I love Indian food but never sure about the wines. Thank you for clarifying.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM

• Beer always comes to mind as the best alcoholic beverage to accompany Asian or spicy food, but wine is also quite appropriate when correctly chosen. All of the wines you suggest are great with Asian or spicy food, but your choices are so good because I believe you have picked exactly the right varietal to go with its most appropriate dish. Well done! I have chosen the same or very similar varietals to go with Thai food. Fresh water should be served with the wines and save the tea for before or after the meal.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM

• Snooth User: catseda

This is a great article. Not only beautifully written but crave-inducing also. Guess I'll be having Indian food for dinner.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

• Snooth User: Ben Carter

Glad you all enjoyed it! The research was delicious.

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:30 AM

• Snooth User: Damndit
    551960 218

This might sound strange but believe me this paring works with most Indian dishes. Australian Sparkling Shiraz, good ones would be Seppelts, Rockwood, Turkey Flat and the soon to be released Molly Dooker. As mentioned in the article a wine with a touch of sweetness generally pairs very well with Indian food. Sparkling Shiraz does have this sweetness as well as the spice Shiraz has along with its mocha and red berry flavours topped off with the oak imparted flavours of Vanilla and coconut, it just seems to compliment the spice and coconut flavours in the food. Give it a go and I think you will be very pleasantly surprised!

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:53 AM