5 Wines to Pair with Indian Food Classics

« Prev Restart 6 of 6
Lamb Vindaloo
Vindaloo comes from the tiny state of Goa, which was a Portuguese possession for 450 years until the 1960s. And thus vindaloo is the Goan adaptation of the Portuguese dish carne de vinha d'alhos—meat with wine and garlic. In vindaloo vinegar is substituted for the wine and is often made much hotter. I like dry rosé with lamb, I like sparkling wine with hot food, and something from Portugal seems appropriate. Try a 2012 Quinta das Arcas Conde Villar Rosé Vinho Verde, Portugal (100% Espadeiro, $10, 11.5% abv.)

This has just a slight fizz that mostly disappears as the wine rests in the glass. There is an alluring tart apricot skin aroma but with a gentle light fruit body. Once again, this is a dry rosé, and one with a light raspberry finish that keeps you coming back for more. While most of the Vinho Verde consumed here in the United States is well under 10% alcohol, this one clocks in at nearly 12%, so pace yourself as you get thirsty.

Photo credit: Sula Indian Restaurant

Comments

• Great. I would love to have these dishes prepared and served each wine choices you have picked.thank you for opening me up to a new way of paring.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

• Snooth User: pamela2

Have you ever tried Caymus Connumdrum with Indian food? I did a few years ago as part of a pairing exercise to match this wine with the most typical take out foods of NY and my favorite was the Chicken Tikka Masala.
    Try it and have fun!

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM

• Snooth User: cma238

Pamela2 that sounds wonderful! Any options for...naan & cheese?? I know paneer is a cheese but what else?

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM

• Snooth User: pamela2

Naan, even with cheese, is very mild: any light red or white will do. I'm biased to Beaujolais this time of year but this one is an easy pairing. I love that bread (and I am French so it says a lot), but usually get cheated by my kids who jump on it before we have anytime to get some.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM

• Snooth User: zinfandel1

I love Indian food but never sure about the wines. Thank you for clarifying.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM

• Beer always comes to mind as the best alcoholic beverage to accompany Asian or spicy food, but wine is also quite appropriate when correctly chosen. All of the wines you suggest are great with Asian or spicy food, but your choices are so good because I believe you have picked exactly the right varietal to go with its most appropriate dish. Well done! I have chosen the same or very similar varietals to go with Thai food. Fresh water should be served with the wines and save the tea for before or after the meal.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM

• Snooth User: catseda

This is a great article. Not only beautifully written but crave-inducing also. Guess I'll be having Indian food for dinner.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

• Snooth User: Ben Carter

Glad you all enjoyed it! The research was delicious.

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:30 AM

• Snooth User: Damndit
    551960 218

This might sound strange but believe me this paring works with most Indian dishes. Australian Sparkling Shiraz, good ones would be Seppelts, Rockwood, Turkey Flat and the soon to be released Molly Dooker. As mentioned in the article a wine with a touch of sweetness generally pairs very well with Indian food. Sparkling Shiraz does have this sweetness as well as the spice Shiraz has along with its mocha and red berry flavours topped off with the oak imparted flavours of Vanilla and coconut, it just seems to compliment the spice and coconut flavours in the food. Give it a go and I think you will be very pleasantly surprised!

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:53 AM