6 Spectacular Holiday Recipes

Perfect reasons to break out your prized bottles!

Next » 1 of 7
6 Spectacular Holiday Recipes Christmas is upon us. It is the time for sharing and showing our love for friends, family, and even strangers. It’s also a grand time for a little showing off, of our culinary skills. Not that the recipes that follow are particularly complex or difficult, though the finished results do give that impression. In fact, for the most part I chose the recipes that follow because they give grand results without requiring Le Cordon Bleu level skills.

I also chose them because this is the time of year you should be sharing some of your best wines. Yes, the family may not be the most appreciative of the gift, but as they say: it is the thought that counts. And if you don’t share them now, who will you end up sharing them with? Fellow wine geeks no doubt, at a bring out your best dinner that pits one wine against another. No. Better to share them with your family and have them tell you that your prized bottles “tastes great, it’s fruity and smooth and doesn’t leave a bad taste in your mouth!”

Yes, there is that moment when you think to yourself “what have I done?” but there are the smiles, and laughter, and these delicious recipes and that emotion quickly passes, replaced by the joy and levity of the season.

Merry Christmas my friends and to those of you who do not celebrate Christmas, you still have ample reason to be thankful, and of course share the bounty of the season.

Comments

• Snooth User: lingprof

No, no, save those bottles for your wine geek friends!! Just kidding. Happy holidays!

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM

OK. Duly noted. Shall we say January?

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Yummers. I'm thinking of coming to your house for the 6 Days of Christmas.

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM

• Snooth User: napagirl68

I agree with Lingprof! My relatives wouldn't know a nice bottle of wine from two buck chuck, so my good wine is for me to sip when everyone leaves!!

As for the article, one that I would include, that I have made several times, is a Braciole- Italian braised beef, cooked very slowly over two days. I serve it over traditional polenta. It's become a big favorite.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM

• Snooth User: vin0vin0

Especially like the pairing of the '08 Scherrer with the Roasted Duck. Might you have had a recent opportunity to taste this wonderful Russian River Pinot?

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM

• Snooth User: rwa1951

This is for napagirl6. Me. Me. Me. Wine was meant to be shared, yes, and even the good stuff. Especially with those who have not experienced better quality. Wine collecting is a social experience meant to broaden the pallet of many, not hoarded for the "elite minded who think they are better than others so why waste it on the unwashed" crowd. Few things in this life give me more pleasure than sharing the good stuff with an inexperienced wine drinker and watching the smile appear from the new experience. And you know, strangely enough the wine I am served when I visit them tends to improve as well. Funny how that works.

Jan 02, 2014 at 12:01 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

RWA, I have to stick up for NG, here. I was once on the quest to "broaden the palate" of others, but I now feel that is not only presumptive but, usually, futile. I know too many people who state outright, that they don't appreciate better wines. What they generally do not add is that they have no desire to appreciate better wines. There is nothing at all wrong with that. So, it is, pretty much, a wasted effort to try to 'enlighten" them with a 2001 Napa Valley Cab, because they generally respond with something like "Do you have any Chardonnay?" Not that I have anything against Chardonnay (I drink my share of it.), but I think most people here understand what I mean. So, I generally open up the nice red for me--and I will offer it around--and have the Chardonnay ready for whomever prefers it. Nine times out of ten, I have the red all to myself.

Jan 02, 2014 at 2:49 PM

• Snooth User: rwa1951

I appreciate your perspective. I don't think you and I are that far apart. My experience has been even if they have a hard time identifying the difference (a lesser bottle offered as a comparison often helps), they appreciate the gesture and I'm happy to share. But I might also add, at least you offer them the good stuff. You don't wait until they leave to pop the cork as NG says she does.

Jan 02, 2014 at 4:37 PM