Do you fusilli?

What’s a little rotini between friends?


Next » 1 of 6
Do you fusilli? An interesting thing happened when rotini made their way to the good ol’ US of A. Miraculously they were turning into fusilli. While that is not literally true, their name did change. Shop the markets here in the states and what we see labelled as fusilli is actually the Italian rotini. In Italy fusilli generally refers to a long, hollow screws of pasta that resemble long corkscrews. Rotini on the other hand are the short, fluted twists.

Coming from northern Italy, they are a far cry from the Bucatini we explored last week. Designed to hold loose dry sauces, think pesto in particular, they’ve become one of the more common and popular forms of pasts over the past decade or two. I’ve always enjoyed fusilli with some simple toppings, more than sauces. Their flutes hold and grab onto things like flakes of fried tuna or slivers of sundried tomatoes better than just about any other pasta and when it comes to Parmiggiano they are like a black hole, scooping up as much cheese are your tiring arms can grate! So lets take a look at fusilli today. Or rotini. No matter the name it’s a great  pasta to add to your repertoire!

Mentioned in this article


Add a Comment

Search Articles

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals

Snooth Media Network