Grab a Riesling and Relax!

We poll our illustrious contributors to help demystify riesling for you!

Next » 1 of 11
Grab a Riesling and Relax!
Riesling can be a challenging wine for consumers. It’s not that the wines are difficult to enjoy or pair with food, it’s simply because, uniquely among the world’s wines, Riesling is regularly produced in styles that range from bone dry to very sweet and the label on the bottle may not always be entirely helpful in helping you figure out what you have in your hand.

That has probably scared some consumers away from Riesling, which is too bad since if you ask any wine geek, and especially sommeliers who value Riesling’s accessibility and food friendliness, there is a lot of riesling to like. We’ve asked some of our favorite contributors to chime in and let us know what style of Riesling rings their bell, and they have recommended some truly outstanding examples that we all should be trying!

Comments

• Snooth User: sometime6

I've not had the opportunity to try either the Austrian nor the Finger Lakes styles which Im now going to do if I can find them. Mail order maybe?

Failing that I have never been disappointed with any Alsatian wine be they Muscat, Pinot Blanc, Gewurzes or Reisling; and the Late Harvests are mind blowing.

sometime6

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM

• Snooth User: Mr Holmes

In 2004 I visited the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery in Washington state and fell in love with the Eroica Riesling from the first sip. In fact, I have a bottle in my wine fridge at home now, just chillin' out and waiting for my attention!

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM

• Snooth User: squidippy

Interesting. I think the Eroica is decent but the Chateau Ste. Michelle Cold Creek Vinyard Riesling is far better. It's smoother,more complex and a couple of dollars cheaper than the Eroica.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:42 AM

• Snooth User: Aobregon

Thanks for absolutely nothing Bill Eyer! Trying to educate myself on Reislings and you provided zero value. Your colleagues on the other hand?, well done! Thanks Snooth!

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM

• Thank you very much for these recommendations!! Born in Germany, we love to enjoy a Riesling, but it's always good to have some new references! If you have the possibility go to the Hochheimer Weinfest (little wine fair in Germany). Not far from Frankfurt/Main and really awesome!

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:17 AM

• Snooth User: chnongji

Useful information. Fortunate me I found your site by accident, and I am surprised why this coincidence didn’t took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
    Now i need to my bolg, you can play game fun, action http://www.friv2014game.org

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:26 AM