How easy is it to Pair Cabernet?

It just takes a little spark of imagination to turn us on to something really terrific!

Next » 1 of 11
How easy is it to Pair Cabernet?
While Cabernet is really an all-season wine, it tends to come into its own as the weather cools. It’s not that it doesn’t pair with a great big steak sizzling off the BBQ, it's that there are so many great pairing options with foods we rarely enjoy during the summer that we get even more great opportunities to enjoy Cabernet based wines as the seasons change. And frankly, a great Zinfandel works better with a big, fat, juicy steak fresh off the grill!

So what should you be pairing Cabernet with? The first rule is whatever you want to pair Cabernet with. Don’t let convention dictate your choice. What you enjoy is what you enjoy, but if you’d like a few suggestions to help get you started allow us to present some of our favorites!

Comments

• Snooth User: EMark

Only one person could think of something besides beef?

Believe me, I enjoy CS with beef as much as the next guy, but, for, at least some, culinary diversity, I have to suggest lamb. My wife makes a killer rack of lamb (super easy recipe) that pairs wonderfully with Cabernet Sauvignon--California or French.

Oct 03, 2014 at 3:41 PM

• Snooth User: Julia Crowley

Ha! I bet I'm the only one that prefers a glass of Cab at lunch instead of dinner, as well. Yup, I'm the odd one out on this one, but everyone's suggestions sounds delicious!

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:07 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

Cabernet Sauvignon,by itself is a vulgar grape.What that means is by itself,it is one dimensional.It "Needs" something else to give it character and flavor.Hence the reason why Bordeaux wines are blended w/either/or Merlot or Cabernet Franc.Sometimes both.Any knowledgeable wine lover,not Wine critics,would agree.Wine critics are bought and sold,like politicians...Judge for yourself.There are sooooooo many grapes that are unique and special that can stand on their own.For Gods Sake,educate yourself.......

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:10 PM

• Snooth User: William Djubin

I Paired a half bottle of Duck Merlot '11 with Rack of Lamb.. Easy..

Oct 04, 2014 at 12:29 AM

• Snooth User: EMark

CS is a one dimensional grape?????????????????????

Who knew?

Pardon my sarcasm, vjg, I do admire your passion, but I disagree with your statement.

If they are one dimensional, then why are so many Cabernet Sauvignon wines described as "complex?" When I sip a wine and taste, sense or otherwise experience fruit, acid, tannin, body, aftertaste, I'm inclined to consider it multi dimensional.

Oct 04, 2014 at 3:25 PM

• Vig6014, it sounds like you could use a good old fashioned weekend getaway to Napa. I'd be happy to accompany you and introduce you to some of my favorite Cab producers. We'd have a jolly good time! Seriously though, Cab one dimensional? In a previous comment on a different article you also called Bordeaux one dimensional. Perhaps you're just not a cab guy, at all? That's okay. Come visit me in Oregon and we'll go Pinot tasting! Now that would be fun! And don't you dare go calling Pinot Noir one dimensional or I'll will find you ;)

Oct 04, 2014 at 5:22 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

Lets get one thing straight to all you novices.I understand where you're coming from,if all you've tried/or like Cabs.,expand your taste buds/palate.Its like eating the same boring food and not experiencing good food/high cuisine.I stand by my statements.When I began tasting wines in my early 20's.I had my nose up in the air about Bordeaux.I drank 1970 LaFite Rothschild on a frequent basis along w/ other first and second growths.Back in those days,First growths cost 29.95.I experienced the Calif. Wine Boom(1976).I thought they were great,etc...That was all I knew at the time.I didn't know any better.Now I do,I'm trying to inspire people to get out of their comfort zone.There are so many great wines from around the world that are so much better,and far less in cost.Wine regions such as Burgundy,Rhone Valley(North and South),Alsace,Loire,all in France.In Italy.Piedmont(Barolo Barbaresco,Barbera),Brunello Di Montalcino,Sicilian wines have made tremendous strides in quality,especially in Mt .Etna and my home town Vittoria(Cerusuolo Di Vittoria is the only DOCG appellation in Sicily).These are all great wines.Even parts of Spain,Priorat,Rioja are producing excellent wines that are Multi layered,food friendly and cheaper than Calif.Cabs,Oregon Pinots.I do enjoy Oregon Pinots,but why should I spend 40-50 dollars on those wines,when I could drink way better elsewhere,like the above mentioned.Many times,even cheaper than 40 bucks...You tell me,after you do your homework and try those wines and see for yourself.Bordeaux and Calif.Cabs are way overpriced and half as good...

Oct 04, 2014 at 9:03 PM

• Snooth User: William Djubin

Three words .; "T-Bone and A-1" Grilled T-Bone USA or Grilled Shrimp and Grilled Ribeye also USA.

Oct 05, 2014 at 12:34 AM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

Merlot is for people that know nothing about wine.

Oct 05, 2014 at 12:39 AM

• Snooth User: William Djubin

2 Words, Masseto Petrus

Oct 05, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I stand by my statement

Oct 05, 2014 at 12:56 AM

• Snooth User: EMark

vjg, all of the regions that you cite have merit. Nobody said they did not. Like just about every region in the world, they all produce wines ranging from excellent, down through average, down to pedestrian. Your assumption that the only wine we drink is CS is wrong. How did you come to that conclusion? This follows the bold statement in your opening post for which you provided no support and for which in subsequent posts you provided no support.

Your comment about Merlot will disappoint many wine makers in on the right bank of the Gironde.

Now, do you see how I was able to express myself without resorting to name calling?

I'm going to make a suggestion. Encouraging people to try different wines is excellent. The fact that we participate on Snooth is proof that we are interested in learning. I would propose, however, that if you would lke to engage in a discussion on, say, Italian wines, go over to the Snooth Forum and start a such a conversation. Tell us about specific wines that you like--or dislike. I, for one, would be very much interested in learning about the Cerasuolo di Vittoria DOCG. I guarantee that you will find support there. I am also pretty sure that you will get some questions asked back to you. These questions will be asked in a spirit of inquisitiveness--not condescension. OK, I lied. There might be some condescension. ;-)

I stated that I admire your passion. I still do.

Oct 05, 2014 at 2:44 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

If what you claim is true,that is your experiences w/tasting other wines,how in God's name can you place Bordeaux of Calif.Cabs in the same breath as Burgundy/Barolo/Barbaresco/Brunello Di Montalcino/and even Cote Rotie,and Chateau Neuf du Pape?There is absolutely no comparison.Cabs are one dimensional in comparison.Wines from Mt.Etna are great,grapes such as Nerello Mascalese blended w/Nerello Cappuccio have Burgundian qualities/and flavors.Ceruscuolo Di Vittoria has a 60/40 blend of Nero D'Avola and Frappatto.Two excellent makers are COS,and Occhipinti.They range in price 25-40 dollars.Excellent.Think about what you would have to spend for a Cab.thats drinkable.I'd rather drink beer.Where are your Tastebuds?

Oct 05, 2014 at 3:19 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

vjg, I have tried to be subtle. It hasn't worked. Let me state this in plain English. You have provided no support for your claim that Cabernet Sauvignon is one dimensional.

None. All you have done is repeated your claim without proof.

Please explain yourself. Explain to me why Cabernet Sauvignon is one-dimensional.

However, arguing that Nero D'Avolo (or any other grape) is multi-dimensional and Cabernet Sauvignon is not Nero D'Avolo, therefore Cabernet is not multi-dimension is not a cogent argument.

Now, if you explain to me the characteristics that Nero D'Avolo has which make it multi-dimensional, then explain that Cabernet Sauvignon does not have those characteristics, and, so, that is the basis for your conclusion, we may, then, have some sort of basis for an interesting discussion.

Oct 06, 2014 at 2:07 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

First of all,lets be clear here.I don't know to what extent your wine experience is.For example if you are only involved w/drinking the same 2or 3 different grapes,you would have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.Now having said that,I will assume you are knowledgable in wine.1.Cab.Sauv.by itself is one dimensional,by that I mean it NEEDS other grapes for flavor and character.Hence,the reason Bordeaux wines are blends.Cab.Sauv.is the backbone to these wines,not the central focus in flavor and character.Even the Wine Spectator touched on this subject years ago.The most reputable wine magazine(that is no longer in publication after 30 years),was called "The Wine Magazine".A close friend of mine was a contributing writer in that publication for many years.In it they discussed exactly what I've been saying all this time.Grapes such as Pinot Noir(Burgundy only),Nebbiolo(Piedmont) have complex secondary and tertiary flavors and character that Cabs.can only dream of.In the Rhone Valley(France) In the Cote Rotie the principal red grape is Syrah. Many winemakers add 2% Viognier(a white grape) for floral scents in their wine.In the Southern Rhone Valley,the dominant red grape is Grenache,blended w/Syrah,Mouvedre,Cinsault,or any other red grapes that are indigenous to the region,totally no more than 13.All these wines have great individual styles and character that is very unique and special.In Burgundy,where Pinot Noir is King,It is light to medium in body,but the aromas are intoxicating along w/flavors on the palate.Very elegant.Unlike Calif.,where Pinot Noir is still in there infancy.With 3 regions being potentially special.Those regions are Santa Rita Hills in Santa Barbara,Santa Lucia Highlands near Santa Cruz,and last but not least is The Russian Valley.The reasons why these possess potential is the canyons run West to East,allowing cool ocean breezes to filter in at night cooling down the grapes.Keeping the grapes from becoming over ripe and alcoholic.Pinot Noir is a thin skinned grape,it needs this to express its true character.For example,William/Seylem Pinot Noir could pass for a Red BurgundyAnother would be Peter Michael.His style is Burgundian,his Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.These two wineries got it.In Piedmont,the Nebbiolo grape is literally Pinot Noir on Steroids.Multi layered and great.Barolo is masculine,meaning power laced w/style and grace.Barbaresco is the feminine version of Barolo,meaning elegance,softer,rose petals come to mind,when aged properly.Excellent.Both regions use only Nebbiolo.The reason for the difference is the mineral/soil content is different,hence the different characteristics.These grapes DON'T need any other grapes for their multitude of flavors.Cab.Sauv.by itself is flat,bland.Brunello Di Montalcino,has their own clone of the Sangiovese grape that has power,style and elegance.Once again,it doesn't need any other grape for this high quality.Nero D'Avola has great potential that possess its own terroir,in specific areas in Sicily such as Noto,and Vittoria,as well in other areas,its limitless.Whether blending w/Frappatto,or any other indigenous grapes its still evolving,but the quality is there.Mt.Etna is inexhaustible w/its potential because of its Volcanic soil and altitude,cooling down the grapes.Once again Cab.Sauv.by itself is boring and flat...I don't know what else to tell you,but drink for Gods sake...

Oct 06, 2014 at 8:00 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Excellent. See, that wasn't hard at all, and you were able to do it without any knowledge of the extent of my wine knowledge.

I now understand your point of view. Yes, you did allude to your position in earlier posts, but your latest explanation was much more clear and did not require that I "read between the lines."

I have nothing to refute your comments about your definition of "one dimension" because I now understand your definition.

For the record I have probaby been enjoying wine longer than you have. Yes, I have enjoyed wines from every one of the regions that you have cited. I think the difference between us is that I do not try to rank dissimilar wines. They all have their merits. Also, generally, if I find that I do not appreciate a particular wine in the same way that others do, I will try more examples. 50,000,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong.

;-)

Again, I invite you to join the discussions over on the Snooth Forum. Your passion and knowledge should be shared.

Oct 07, 2014 at 3:41 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

For the record,I doubt very much you've been enjoying fine wines longer than me.Judging by your inability for not"reading between the lines"suggests to me you still have a lot to learn.For the record,I've been into collecting and drinking fine wines for 40 years.I've been to Italy/and Sicily 5x's,France once.Like I said I lived in Calif.,during the wine boom(mid-70's).I have actively pursued by knowledge of wine w/books,friends in the wine business both making wines,wine representatives of distributors,and a close friend who is an independent wine journalist.We formed our own wine club called "Alcoholics Unanimous".Our Latin motto is"Aut Bibat Vinum Aut Abeat",which translate,"If You Don't Drink Wine,Go Away"...We gave one of our t-shirts to Giuseppe Rinaldi,one of the Great Traditional Barolo makers.I doubt very much your claim is remotely valid.

Oct 07, 2014 at 7:51 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

I need to make a correction.The translation of the Latin motto is ,"Either drink wine,or go away".In my haste,sending my previous message,I made a mistake...

Oct 07, 2014 at 8:59 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

OK, there was one absolute truth in your last diatribe. I agree that I do have much to learn. In fact, I learn every day. I find learning enjoyable. Other than that, everything you said about me is wrong.

There is no longer any reason for us to continue this conversation. Feel free to make one last post here in which you may call me names or make outrageous claims without support. I am done.

Oct 08, 2014 at 2:08 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

You are some piece of work.You began your diatribe by debating and not understanding what I said from the very beginning,that Cab.Sauv.is one dimensional on its own.I clearly said that it NEEDS other grapes for flavor and character.For someone who "claims"he's so knowledgeable about wine.You had NO understanding in what I said.Any experienced wine lover knows exactly what I claimed to be true.You however continued this conversation,because you had no idea what I was talking about.You then sent a reply stating,"See,it wasn't hard at all"...I had to prove to you I was knowledgeable in my previous statement.This gave my comment validity.It had nothing to do w/my comment about Cab.Sauv.You needed to see what I knew to back my claim.How could you not understand what I meant by "one dimensional"???It was very clear,I included the words boring and bland.You still needed me to explain it.Really?You continued by insulting me w/the comment that you probably have been enjoying wine longer than me.Really?This is coming from a man who in his opinion that Cab.Sauv./and Merlot are Multi layered.By the way Merlot is used more abundantly in Pomerol (right bank)for a reason.If there is any one that has been condescending its been you,w/you childish unfounded comments.I stand by every word I've said to you,and every word pertaining to Cab.Sauv.I've learned a lot about wine over the years,on my own as well as befriending people that knew a lot more than I.My reason for my statements are to pass along what I've learned to inform others that there are a lot of wines better and less expensive than Bordeaux and Calif.Cabs.Maybe as a result,You might learn something.Or do I need to thoroughly explain my "point of view"???Outrageous claims w/out support,you still don't get it do you...You're right,We're done.I won't waste my time w/you,its not worth my energy.

Oct 08, 2014 at 2:58 PM

• Snooth User: MrWino101

@vig6014; Cabernet Sauvignon, by itself is a vulgar grape one dimensional grape? Really? Everybody has a different pallet and also different perceptions about what they taste. If a 100% Cab is what you like, fine. If not, don’t spout off wine-snob gibberish trying to prove your self-absorbed concocted observations are the gospel. As far as basing you observations with that of wine lovers, and not wine critics, is buffoonish. One’s social habits, compared to that of a wine critic are the same as comparing apples and oranges. There are many, many wine critics out there that have just as much of an experienced pallet as you believe you have. I truly believe you love your wines, and pride yourself on the years of experience you have gathered. But, like I said, it’s not the gospel. It’s exploiting the good knowledge you have in such a braggart fashion that you give off the perception of being a wine snob. Here’s a better way to look at it…drink whatever Cab you like and pair it with a wine glass. Because you’ll probably drink 75% of the wine before and after you eat your meal anyway! BTW: EMark, I don't think anybody can sway or win a conversation with this guy! He's too self indulged.

Oct 09, 2014 at 5:47 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

Have you read any of my statements through and through?These are not just my observations nor sole opinion.I clearly stated a few times now that "the Wine Spectator",as well as The Wine Magazine( a 30 year publication that recently folded.Both had articles saying the same thing I said,that Cab.Sauv.,by itself is a vulgar grape(wine speak).What that means is by itself its one dimensional.Hence the reason why Bordeaux wines are blended.The only 1st growth that is 100% anything is Chateau Cheval Blanc,its 100% Cabernet Franc.I didn't create these statements.If you or anyone did their homework you would understand what this means.I couldn't care less what you or anyone drinks/and or likes.It means NOTHING to me.I don't need to stroke my ego,or put anyone down about what they drink.Even my statement about Merlot,being wine for people that know nothing about wine.These were words from knowledgeable wine critics in the past.My point has been and will continue to be to tell people about wines that most people either don't know anything about or have never heard of different wine regions that are great and relatively inexpensive.Bordeaux wines are over rated and over priced.Spending 500-800 on a Chateau LaFite,Mouton,Petrus is outrageous.Up until the 1982 vintage,they were under 100 dollars.I know I bought them.What changed everything(meaning the market) was when China and Japan began buying these wines as a status symbol(trophy wines).The aristocratic snobs that own and run these Chateaus saw $$$$ signs.Huge profits for them.These are people that NEVER go in the vineyards.They are blue bloods.Each time anyone coughs up the big bucks for these wines,they're laughing all the way to the bank.Same goes for Calif.Cabs.Harlan Estates charging 400 a bottle,Screaming Eagle 500-600 a bottle,Diamond Creek,and so on.Way over priced,and once again half as good as other unknown,or not as popular wineries.I've been trying to she'd some light in all this.Yet its people like you,or anyone else that can't see the forest through the trees.If you or anyone else is hellbent on thinking they're living the high life by drinking those wines,go for it.But if you're willing to try something different,out of your comfort zone,then I guarantee you ,you will be pleasantly surprised,and glad.As The Buddha once said,"Enlightenment cannot be taught,only experienced"...One can only show the way...

Oct 09, 2014 at 7:26 PM

• Snooth User: MrWino101

@vig6014

"For God’s Sake, educate yourself"

"Get one thing straight to all you novices"

"You tell me, after you do your homework and try those wines and see for yourself. Bordeaux and Calif. Cabs are way overpriced and half as good"

"Merlot is for people that know nothing about wine"

"Think about what you would have to spend for a Cab that’s drinkable. I'd rather drink beer. Where are your Tastebuds?"

"For the record, I doubt very much you've been enjoying fine wines longer than me. Judging by your inability for not" reading between the lines “suggests to me you still have a lot to learn"

"You are some piece of work. You began your diatribe by debating and not understanding what I said from the very beginning that Cab. Sauv. is one dimensional on its own"

"You might learn something. Or do I need to thoroughly explain my "point of view"??? Outrageous claims w/out support, you still don't get it do you"

"You're right, we’re done. I won't waste my time w/you, it’s not worth my energy"
    Those are your comments. You seem take the stance that any opinion on wine but your owns is invalid. Even after EMark complemented you on your knowledge, you still had to respond by calling him “a piece of work”. I was right in my observation of you and your inability to accept anybody’s opinion but you own. If you like the wine you’re drinking, everybody else is wrong if they don’t like it or has a different opinion of the wine! What it looks like to me is that you’re mixing a bit of your weakly opinionated comments with some verbiage that you’ve taken from a technical wine publication. It’s time to get off your high-horse and cut the wine-snobbish egotistical prattle about how knowledgeable you are, and try to have an adult conversation about wine. Remember, the post was about paring Cab, but you jumped right in, back-handing wine critics and telling us to educate ourselves. Sorry vig6014, but you have a lot to learn about not being so self-indulged with your perceived knowledge. You need to understand that the opinions of others aren’t wrong because they don’t meet up to your assumed level of knowledge. I’ve been enjoying wine since 1966, been a wine writer for years, judged wine competitions, conducted wine seminars, and worked in a winery, but I don’t confuse that, or use it, in a non-congenial way to prove how knowledgeable I am. Is the wine you like any better than the one I like? Maybe yes, maybe no. You can try to compare a perceived one-dimensional varietal to the so-called great wines of the world all you want, but does a person that immensely enjoys that varietal, or even a bottle of Two Buck Chuck, any less knowledgeable in his mind? No...it does not!

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:55 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

Let me end this nonsense of yours,by saying,"Living is easy w/eyes closed,misunderstanding is all you see"...All your so called qualifications go out the door when you continue this mindless banter.Yes,my personal statements pertaining to Cab.Sauv.were laced w/fact.The Wine Spectator called Cab.Sauv.a vulgar grape,explaining just like I did.The fact that you show such an inability to except a reputable periodical stating so,and you not understanding the meaning of this,tells me you not only inexperienced,but don't have any idea what you're talking about.Emark began the insults w/his same inability.How come you haven't noticed that.By calling him a "piece of work"was as diplomatic and kind as I could be.My comments come from years of tasting (blindly w/wine representatives in the business) and learning about what makes a good wine great,and why some grapes don't compare w/others.The consensus among a multitude of people in the business,as well as those who are independent writers contributing to magazines support my comments.The fact that you don't like it,is your problem.I drink a wide range of different wines,my knowledge benefits me.I couldn't care less what you drink.The fact that you think that Cab.Sauv. Is good,tells me,you are an amateur,at best.My price range is generally between 15-35 dollars,yes at times I spend a lot more for something extraordinary.But every day drinking is 15-35.Where you come off calling me a snob,is comical.I'm into quality,flavor,(secondary and tertiary).Hence,the reasons for my comments.Calif.Cabs are made in new oak for a reason,to give it character/flavor from the wood.There is a reason why,European winemakers use old oak.Less properties of the wood come out and altering the wine to something else.Of course,you probably like Calif.Cabs.for that reason.I'd rather spend my $$$ on tasting wine,not wood.So,insult me all you'd like,I really don't care.Knowledge is power especially in the world of wine.I drink great wines every day as a result.If you lie 2buck chuck,go for it.I couldn't care less.My comments are geared to those that want to expand and grow in their education of wine.Passing along alternatives can only benefit those that don't know any better.Once again,"Living is easy w/eyes closed,misunderstanding is all you'll see".I wish you well.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM

• Snooth User: MrWino101

@vij6014...Well, I tried my best to put my comments in the somewhat chronological order of your last posting. Yes, you’re right. Living is easy with eyes closed. You’ve profoundly proven that. As I said, I do not use my knowledge and or qualifications, to profess that my appreciation of any wine is a better than that of anybody else’s.

You stress your perceived knowledge about a varietal as correct, and even try to qualify your position by siting WS. That I find truly amusing from someone that notes that "Merlot is for people that know nothing about wine”. WS awarded Paloma Merlot wine of the year, I believe in 01 or 02. Again, proving that opinions are individually based on ones perception of what is, and isn’t acceptable to that individuals pallet. You yourself noted WS as a “reputable periodical”, and yet you say what you did about Merlot. This tells me again that you are biased to your opinions and your opinions only, especially when it benefits your position. So, with that being said, you continued in calling me inexperienced and having no idea of what I’m talking about and calling EMark a piece of work. Then you tried to justify that belittling comment by saying you were being as kind and diplomatic as you could be. I'm sure EMark thanks you for the egotistical back-handed apology.

Yes, I’m sure your comments come from your alleged years of tasting, working in the business and a consensus of writers and people in the wine business, as do I to some extent. But first, I never said I didn’t like your opinion. I disagreed with your opinions, just as WS disagrees with your opinion on Merlot. And that’s not my problem or anybody else problem. That’s your problem because you’re egotistically biased, and that ego is hurt when you can’t get everybody to agree with your opinions. Just as you had to note that you drink a wide range of wines, then inserting “your knowledge” benefits YOU. Then you just have to state that “you couldn’t care less what I drink”, and then devise another egotistical opinion that I’m “an amateur at best” because I may like Cabernet Sauvignon. Taking that position on a wine tells me you don’t take “educating” people as serious as you take your likes and dislikes as being the Gospel. You want me to explain where I come off calling you a wine snob? Let’s see…you say Merlot is for armatures, I’m an amateur because I may like a wine that you don’t like, you spout off your financial expenditures (which is not an indication that you’re drinking good or bad wine…actually there is no bad wine unless it's corked), you drink great wines every day (says you) and you continue to bloviate about your alleged knowledge. That comes off as being snobbish! The kind of snobbish attitude that one would associate to a guy tasting wine, holding the glass by the base rather than the stem, his ascot blowing in the wind across his navy crested smoking jacket, and commenting in an English accent to Buffy that the wines is far below his extremely knowledgeable expectations. You say knowledge is power in the world of wine? Really? Two people sitting side by side, let’s say RP and me, tasting the same wine. Is his knowledge going to make the wine taste better? Is my knowledge going to make it taste better to me? NO! The wine will taste what our taste buds perceive. Who will like it the most? Only the individual’s taste buds will actually know, and in turn, let the brain know. What power…right? It works just fine both ways for each person, which is a concept you have trouble grasping. You note you drink great wines every day. Who says they’re great…you? Maybe that Two Buck Chuck is just as great to somebody else. How are YOUR comments geared to those that want to expand THEIR education of wine, when you already have your opinions biasedly ingrained in your own mind? Sure, you want to pass on alternatives, just as I do, but your alternatives are segregated. They are professed, based on your own perception of what is good and what is bad for an individual, rather than letting others make that decision for themselves. That’s not education and expanding ones knowledge of wine, that’s stifling it.

You may say…" Living is easy with eyes closed; misunderstanding is all you'll see". But here’s another one for you.

“Life can be more enjoyable by taking off your blindfold and seeing what others around you see”.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:37 PM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

God almighty,is there no end to you twisting every comment I've made?Blindfold?Really.You boast about how you've been drinking wine since 1966.And you still haven't learned anything about wine.I guess that says a lot about you now,doesn't it.Every statement you've made to me has been w/out any facts,other than you're inability to comprehend what I'm saying.Yes,I said Merlot is for people who don't know anything about wine.That was my judgement,my experiences w/people throughout the course of my life.I'll stand by that judge mental statement.However,beyond a shadow of doubt,I am correct(as well as journalists,and friends of mine in the wine business) about Calif.Cabs.being one dimensional,over priced,and over rated.You on the other hand have no understanding why I've said this.You claim to be knowledgeable,yet I don't see any proof of this "alleged"wisdom.All I read is your nonsensical ranting.Even my comments were rebuttals to the previous amateur.I am not bragging about my knowledge,you are claiming I am.That could not be further from the truth.That is your perception.Just because I am able to talk about my experiences,and express myself,and share what I know to be true,does not mean,I'm better,smarter or an expert.I love wine and have sort to expand my knowledge on the subject.I have surrounded myself w/many knowledgeable people,that make this their living.I have been trying to get people to understand there is more to wine than price,labels and so called wines like Cab.Sauv.that profess to be great.All the wines I have mentioned in my previous comments are head and shoulders better and less expensive.Yet,you cannot get past my statement that C/S is one dimensional.The truth always hurt when you still live in the shadow of misinformation.Like I've said countless times,your insults and misrepresentation of my comments means nothing to me.I know better.The fact is I drink great wines every day of my life,judging by your choices,its a lot better than what you're drinking.I really pity people who live in such a "small world"like you obviously do.Once again,"living is easy w/eyes closed,misunderstanding is all YOU'LL see".No one has proven that better than you.I wish you well.Consider this my last message to you.I refuse to take this any further.In order to see the light one must step out of his own shadow.You obviously like living in the dark.I will not return any message to you.Goodbye,and good luck.I'm done w/you.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:52 PM

• Snooth User: gjsliney

Why all the online fighting? Anyway, I found the article disappointing. Most of the input was a grilled steak. I already know CS and grilled steak are wonderful. I'll try the muffaletta if I can make a decent olive salad.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM

• Snooth User: vjg6014

Hi gjsliney,It wasn't my intention to argue and fight over my opinion or statements.Unfortunately,things got out of hand.My reasons for saying what I said,was to shed light on an overrated overpriced wine.Many wine drinkers out there get "stuck"into believing the hype about a certain wine,and end up not being adventurous and trying other wines.We live in a great time for wine drinking/tasting.I was trying to share my own experiences,as well as many of my friends experiences(who happen to be in the wine business,selling wines to restaurants and wine shops).I hope you are open minded and enjoy tasting different wines,the benefits and pleasures are many...

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM

• Snooth User: MrWino101

@vjg6014...I’m not going to continue to debate your alleged knowledge, as that is unimportant. What is important, which I stressed over and over to you, while you just kept touting your knowledge and that of WS and others. I debunked such statements like that regarding Merlot, and again, using your own referred to publication, here is a bit of WS own website definition of Cabernet Sauvignon:

“Through most of the grape's history in California (which dates to the 1800s), the best Cabernets have been 100 percent Cabernet. Since the late 1970s, many vintners have turned to the Bordeaux model and blended smaller portions of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petite Verdot into their Cabernets. The case for blending is still under review, but clearly there are successes. On the other hand, many U.S. producers are shifting back to higher percentages of Cabernet, having found that blending doesn't add complexity and that Cabernet on its own has a stronger character”.

As for twisting your statement, well I only noted, verbatim, what you said and debunked them, just like I did above with the help of WS. But, not once did I say your opinion was invalid TO YOU. I noted that everybody had different pallets and opinions, and it was wrong for you to continue to proclaim your opinions as the Gospel. Instead, you continued to insult, belittle others experience and ability to know what wine they liked, because it wasn't up to YOUR (perceived) more experienced pallet and beliefs. You proved that again with your response to gjsliney by believing YOUR opinion on what’s overrated and overpriced is again is the undisputed truth. YOU don’t know what’s overpriced or overrated. That is individual preference. I like to share my opinions as well as you, and do so during the educational and tasting seminars I teach. But, I don’t take the position, as you do, that if somebody doesn't agree with YOUR opinion they must be inexperienced or know nothing about wine. Please, like I said…THEY”RE INDIVIDUAL OPINIONS!

PS: Even though you say “you’re done”, I expect that your ego will trump the verbiage!

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM

• Snooth User: Sindi

Very interesting article, as are the comments. I'm new to this site, but from what I've read, this was really the easiest to analyze, and the most fun to read. From what I see, it seems vig6014 has a problem understanding MrWino101. I think what 101 was saying is that everybody has a different pallet and a sense of enjoyment in the wines they select. On the other hand, vig6014 assumes that he has greater knowledge and his opinion is the only opinion, and any others are inferior to his. 101 sited Wine Spectator (which I agree with) to refute vig's claim with the same source vig used to try and prove 101 as less experienced. Good move 101! I feel CS is a great wine, especially Napa wines, and paring it with a great steak is fantastic. But I don't limit red wine to red meat, or white wine with fish or poultry. I have friends that will drink Chardonnay with everything from a steak to pasta with marinara sauce, while I wouldn't think of that combo as something that works well for me, it might for them. BUT, I don't deny them that pleasure, or demean them for their choice of paring, by telling them I know better and they're wrong. Great give and take guys, especially 101!
    Cheers!

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM

• Snooth User: Sindi

Thanks for the profs Sindi. I also have friends that drink Chard with everything. I even have in-laws that drop ice cubes in their glasses! They like it that way...good for them.There's no way anybody can tell another person what they should or shouldn't like, whats good or whats bad, and there is NO bad wine! As for vig6014, well I'm sure he/she has much experience in the world of wine. The issue is not about how much knowledge you have, but how you express it. The issue there was obviously the inability of acceptance of opinions adverse to his/hers, and that his/hers trumped all others. That was shown to be wrong in the case of the WS 100% Cab point. Congrats on joining the site. Chime in when you can!

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM