How to Pair Wine With Cookies

Sweetness loves company

« Prev Next » 4 of 9
Banyuls and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Believe it or not, this is a classic pairing. Okay, so not exactly this pairing, but if you do any research about Banyuls that includes drinking some, you’ll find out that this sweet wine, made from Grenache in the south west of France, is a chocolate lover’s dream. Let me rephrase that, it is chocolate’s dream!

I don’t know exactly why it works so well, but Banyuls seems to be a natural match for chocolate, yielding a pairing that is balanced and that lets the fruit and the wine compliment the richness of the chocolate without either obscuring any detail of the other. A match made in heaven, and since I’m choosing, heaven is made of large, thick, chewy, gooey chocolate chip cookies!

Try: Domaine de la Vieille Banyuls

with

Thick, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comments

• Snooth User: lise2g

You should try cool climate Syrah with Ginger Spice Cookies. We held a Food Pairing Challenge last weekend for some Wine Club members, and Cheryl K. brought these cookies which tasted *fabulous* with our Syrah. The combination of the spices in the Cookies and the spices in the wine was really great. This dish was the runner-up Syrah Pairing (the overall winner was a Duck Rillette with Smoked Duck Leg, but since this was made by someone who happens to be a chef, it wasn't a truly fair contest).

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! The duck pairing sounds divine, and I love me my gingersnaps so I'll make sure to try them with some Syrah soon!

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:12 PM

• Snooth User: Pansyford

I recently made a flan that I served with an amazing Marsala from Sicily. The caramel in the flan really complemented the rich caramel flavors in the marsala wine. I recommend a high end marsala like the Marco di Bartoli that we had. I realize that flan is not a cookie, but a recipe with caramel bits instead of chocolate chips, for example, might be a delightful combination!

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:14 PM

• I see my favourite Gerwurtraminer paired with lovely chocolate laced macaroons (yum! ) yet sadly no recipe :(
    Now don't get me wrong, I am an equal opportunity cookie monster but truth be told coconut macaroons are likely my favourite (well in the top 3 ... or 5 -- dang! I just like cookies :)

Many thanks for all of the brilliant pairings - I am certain that the field work was terribly bothersome...

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:45 PM

• I love fresh ground cardamom in Shortbread cookies and then making a traditional vanilla glaze and drizzling it over them. Ummmm!

Mar 02, 2012 at 5:16 PM

• I discovered vin santo and biscotti in Italy and fell in love! While everyone else was having panna cotta, I was indulging in my new favorite dessert. Now and then I'll treat myself and be transported back to my memorable vacation in Italy!

Mar 02, 2012 at 8:42 PM

• Snooth User: atonalprime

This is a great article to have handy -- would be especially interesting to pair with specific Girlscout cookies, as it is prime season right now.

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:14 PM

• Snooth User: winetastinginLA

There is a company called Cookies and Cork that have turned this wien/cookie pairing into a business. I prefer to dunk my cookies in milk.

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:30 PM

• Snooth User: winetastinginLA

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:30 PM

• Snooth User: 64wine

With a little Chardonnay left from dinner I picked up a limon shortbread girl scout cookie, an unexpected WOW

Mar 03, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Thanks everybody for the great comments! I was thinking of doing the Girl Scout Cookie pairing thing, but I would have to get my hands on some of them first! What on earth pairs with Somoas!?!

Mar 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM

• Very interesting note, most illustrating, my few experiences with cookies and drinks, were chocolate chips and Merlot or Syrah, and after coffee cookies with Port, also I tried fruitcake with Late Harvest wines, but your information, in certain way completes the scene.

Mar 07, 2012 at 7:05 PM