How to Pair Wine With Cookies

Sweetness loves company

Comments

• Snooth User: lise2g

You should try cool climate Syrah with Ginger Spice Cookies. We held a Food Pairing Challenge last weekend for some Wine Club members, and Cheryl K. brought these cookies which tasted *fabulous* with our Syrah. The combination of the spices in the Cookies and the spices in the wine was really great. This dish was the runner-up Syrah Pairing (the overall winner was a Duck Rillette with Smoked Duck Leg, but since this was made by someone who happens to be a chef, it wasn't a truly fair contest).

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! The duck pairing sounds divine, and I love me my gingersnaps so I'll make sure to try them with some Syrah soon!

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:12 PM

• Snooth User: Pansyford

I recently made a flan that I served with an amazing Marsala from Sicily. The caramel in the flan really complemented the rich caramel flavors in the marsala wine. I recommend a high end marsala like the Marco di Bartoli that we had. I realize that flan is not a cookie, but a recipe with caramel bits instead of chocolate chips, for example, might be a delightful combination!

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:14 PM

• I see my favourite Gerwurtraminer paired with lovely chocolate laced macaroons (yum! ) yet sadly no recipe :(
    Now don't get me wrong, I am an equal opportunity cookie monster but truth be told coconut macaroons are likely my favourite (well in the top 3 ... or 5 -- dang! I just like cookies :)

Many thanks for all of the brilliant pairings - I am certain that the field work was terribly bothersome...

Mar 02, 2012 at 3:45 PM

• I love fresh ground cardamom in Shortbread cookies and then making a traditional vanilla glaze and drizzling it over them. Ummmm!

Mar 02, 2012 at 5:16 PM

• I discovered vin santo and biscotti in Italy and fell in love! While everyone else was having panna cotta, I was indulging in my new favorite dessert. Now and then I'll treat myself and be transported back to my memorable vacation in Italy!

Mar 02, 2012 at 8:42 PM

• Snooth User: atonalprime

This is a great article to have handy -- would be especially interesting to pair with specific Girlscout cookies, as it is prime season right now.

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:14 PM

• Snooth User: winetastinginLA

There is a company called Cookies and Cork that have turned this wien/cookie pairing into a business. I prefer to dunk my cookies in milk.

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:30 PM

• Snooth User: winetastinginLA

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:30 PM

• Snooth User: 64wine

With a little Chardonnay left from dinner I picked up a limon shortbread girl scout cookie, an unexpected WOW

Mar 03, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Thanks everybody for the great comments! I was thinking of doing the Girl Scout Cookie pairing thing, but I would have to get my hands on some of them first! What on earth pairs with Somoas!?!

Mar 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM

• Very interesting note, most illustrating, my few experiences with cookies and drinks, were chocolate chips and Merlot or Syrah, and after coffee cookies with Port, also I tried fruitcake with Late Harvest wines, but your information, in certain way completes the scene.

Mar 07, 2012 at 7:05 PM