How to Pair with Great Wines!

The 5 greatest wines in the world and what to pair with them

Next » 1 of 6
How to Pair with Great Wines! This is of course a bit biased, and I didn't even include three of my favorite wines, Bordeaux, Chianti, and Barbera, but the point here was to try and highlight what i think are the greatest wines made on earth, which are not necessarily the most commonly consumed. I've also tried to spread the love around and while two of my picks are from France, they could just as easily been all Italian!

The point of this article is not only to highlight my favorite wines, but to offer suggestions as how best to pair these wines. Great wines are generally at their best when paired with a dish that makes the sum greater than the parts. There is something magically about a great flavor combination, and they can come from some surprising places as witnessed by last nights Peking Duck paired with 2002 Olga Raffault Chinon. The green notes of the Chinon found a brilliant partner in the green onions included with the peking duck. the pairing was a bit out of left field but turned out to be brilliant!

The following pairings might be a bit more mainstream but they offer an equally brilliant potential for joyous dining. I hope you enjoy them!

Comments

• Snooth User: Nvale

With what would you pair a Portuguese Blend of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz (3T) from the Douro Valley?

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I love a good Duoro red, bright, slightly floral with a restrained richness enlivened by bright acids. A good idea would be to pair the wine with something a bit peppery, the acid helps balance the spice and it can really highlight the fruit of the wine. An aged example would be stunning with this Black-Pepper-Crusted Wagyu New York Steaks with Black Truffle Vinaigrette (http://eat.snooth.com/recipe-pairin...) though something on the younger side might do better with these Lamb Chops Crusted with Fennel & Black Pepper (http://eat.snooth.com/recipe-pairin...).

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM

• I am vegetarian and love the reds! Could you suggest some pairings, especially with Carmenere? Thanks so much :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM

• What is the source of this information?: Wine Wisdom for 9/18/13->

"All grape types are descendents of Muscat. "

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Once again, Greg, you've made me hungry. I think I'd be happy to eat at your house any day.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

No kidding, Greg is a great cook. His strength is letting the good stuff shine.
    And lamb with a younger Touriga or almost any Douro red (usually blends) is great, one of my faves. Some of the best deals on the market--you can get decent Touriga Nacional based wines for under $15.

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

Don't forget Myriad, Halcon, Apsara, and Arnot-Roberts, Jemrose, and almost any Syrah from Las Madres or Cardiac Hill as an alternative to those pricey N. Rhones. California makes some of the best (and, alas, worst) Syrahs anywhere. Those suggestions should help to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM

• What a nice content. No kidding. I think it also enough for a great wines. Thanks for this valuable posting by valuable stuff. Thanks

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:59 AM