Pork and Peas it's a Zin

Over Heavenly Rice and Peas

Well, we’re getting into some winter weather, at least around these parts. While I don’t expect it to last too long, I, for one, relish these cold, crisp days, though I do look for ways to liven them up a bit. I’ll give you one guess how.

That’s right, food and wine, or wine and food, depending on whether you’re coming or going. Last Friday we were sitting around the office, tasting some Zinfandel, as we are wont to do on a Friday, when we came across a few wonderful wines.

As many of you probably already know, I love a good Zin, and one of the ones we were trying really rang my bell, so the next challenge, of course, was pairing it with a meal.

What to expect: Zinfandel

Zinfandel is considered America's own great indigenous grape, even though it's origins lie on the Adriatic coast. Planted throughout California, and in to the Pacific Northwest, Zinfandel is at it's best in warm regions with cooler temperatures during harvest. The wines can range from off-dry Roses (the ubiquitous White Zinfandel) to light bistro styled wines, big, rich powerful wines and even luscious dessert bottling. The flavors range from plummy to raspberry, though deep blackberry fruit and brambly spice tones are most common.
Zinfandel can be tricky to pair with food; it can be intensely fruity and high in alcohol, a delicate balance that is easily disturbed. My favorite wine of the day however was pretty well balanced and had just enough spicy oak to add an additional dimension to the wine without totally dominating it. I knew exactly what the wine needed, a spicy, slightly smoky and full flavored seductress of a pork dish, and the chorizo scented rice and black eyed peas side dish that was it’s perfect partner!

And thus my weekend’s highlight was preordained. I was going to whip up some Magical Marinated Pork Tenderloin with an earthy side dish of Heavenly Rice and Peas.

These two recipes work wonderfully together, and the leftover rice and beans is one of my favorite leftover surprises! It actually is great with eggs for breakfast so don’t be afraid of making too much! And if you’re wondering whether my recent Caribbean vacation had anything to do with these recipes, let me just Oh Yeah. What better way to celebrate a wonderful winters day than by introducing some Sunny spice!

1 2 3 next

Comments

• Snooth User: zjharper

hi. anyone keen on shouting a young kiwi a trip to california? shot! always appreciated aye. been a big red head since i was a kid thanks to being teased with cases of kim crawford just hanging around the house. bad idea mum, but good taste for a good ten years ago. still good wine to. and now i just found zinfandel. heck! easily my no 1 red. but not to easy to find over here. if you cant afford to buy me plane tickets and pay for my accomodation and food and booze, its ok, niether can i. but please consider sending me a case of this fantabulous wine. mmm such a nice wine... cant wait till winter so i can cook a hella spicey meatloaf and rose up my cheeks with some zin. i'll be thinking of you as i catch some fish of the beach tomorow.
    tino aroha-nui
    zjh

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:09 AM

• Snooth User: J Marie
    220869 7

Where is the recipe for the pork? Am I missing something here?

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

• Snooth User: Mark Angelillo
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

Ah, looks delicious. That Trinitas is a tasty wine as well.

J Marie - the recipe is on the third page of the article.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM

• Snooth User: Glenn Mac

Thanks. I know what's for dinner tonight. I did find several typographical errors in the prepping portion of the "Heavenly Rice and Peas" recipe.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Being taken care of as we type.

Thanks for letting me know!

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM

• Snooth User: J Maria

J Marie...look for brief cooking instructions for the pork loin just before the rice and peas recipe.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM

• Snooth User: sah1001

Again, am I missing something? Where is the recipe link?

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM

• Snooth User: jreese

A really interesting article, but I think the consensus is that you should post the recipe at the top. A good lesson for next time.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM

• Snooth User: Kathy1961

J Marie for the receipe go to page 3, of the link. A downloadable version of the receipe is there. Getting ready to get some pork tenderloin and try this weekend.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM

• Snooth User: sah1001

Yes, post the recipe at the top of the page or at least a bookmark/link to it directly under the picture of the dish.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM

• Snooth User: Wickendon

Me too! I was looking for the recipe. Page 3 it is!
    If you lead off with a comment about the recipe, it should be near the lead off.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM

• Snooth User: winecv
    190236 3

My favorite Old Vine Zinfandel is Cline Vinyards. Have you tried it? There is a world of difference between their Zin and their Old Vine Zin -- the latter is way better.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

• Snooth User: Canne
    200793 12

Just visited Cline Cellars last weekend. Have had their basic Zin here in Atlanta, and really like it, but loved much of the rest of their repertoir, including the Old Vine Zin, so much that we joined their club. Now waiting for the first shipment.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM

• Snooth User: spookykirk

Pork and rice and pea recipe looks delicous! I hope I can find the dried chorizo---something I have not cooked with. This site could revamp my cooking interest. This will give me a meal to drink my Roshambo "The Reverend" with---one of my favorite Zins. Thanks

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM

• Snooth User: ddorsch1

I agree with the preceding comments…although I did find the recipe, it probably needs a link near the picture. Looks good, and I'll look for the Cline Old Vine Zin as accompaniment.

Don

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM

• Pourtal Wine Bar in Santa Monica, California, is currently featuring Zinfandels as a tasting tour. Check out http://www.pourtal.com

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM

• Snooth User: zjharper

trevaly for breakfast? humour for lunch!!!

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Great recipe, Greg, and good match to the Zin. Very much a style of dish(es) that I prepare, so after my oven's repaired I'll be making this, though I'm tempted to do so this weekend using a Dutch oven... ;-)

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM

• I would like to share a Red Zin. I really like! Good smooth flavor! Gnarly Head 2006, Lodi Zin.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

• Snooth User: bcoye

I agree with the multiple comments re: receipe location. Why highlight and then Hide it???

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:59 AM

This link is not working?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM

• Boo! Recipe link is broken.

Safari can’t open the page “http://designshop.snooth.com/mercha...” because Safari can’t connect to the server “designshop.snooth.com”.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up folks.

I've notified our tech team and I hope to have the problem resolved as soon as possible.

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM

• It is to a level of such enigmatic tendencies to judje wine into the triviality of food decisions, moodly decisions. We should no longer subordinate to this unless we have got fully informed about it. Don´t you think?

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:33 AM

• If you would like to "mix it up a bit" a Primitivo from the Puglia region in Italy would also go nicely.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM

• OMG, OMG, OMG! I used fresh ginger and no Jalapeno. Makes my hoisin sauce pork seem fail.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM

• Snooth User: Judyjudy

Made it last night...eliminated the black-eyed peas, though (daughter didn't want gas on her int'l flight today). Leftovers tonight were even better! Def keeper. Dynamite zin 2008 north coast went great with it.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

• Snooth User: napagirl68

I will have to try this pairing! I have always been told that Zins pair with bbq ("it's a great bbq wine!", exclaimed by numerous CA tasting room personnel). I have never paired a zin with pork... I usually pair Pinot Noir with pork, but will DEFINITELY try this! THanks...

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Sorry about the hiccup with the downloads but we've gotten it all fixed. Back to work tweaking some of my favorite recipes!

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM

• Snooth User: PaulLL

I made your magical pork tenderloin for my wife this evening. We are not great zin fans (in fact, we know nothing about zins), so we dipped our toes in the zin waters with a Kirkland (Costco) zin. Your recipe bowled us over. Fantastic!!! And the pairing wasn't too shabby either.I served it with roasted squash and a green salad. Maybe I'll try it with one of the recommended zins. If you have more marinated pork tenderloin recipes, please post them --I'd love to try them. Thanks again for a knockout suggestion.

Paul

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM

• Snooth User: swhelan

I used a boneless pork loin of 3 lbs. and tripled the marinade recipe. i let it marinate for 24 hours in the fridge then brought it to room temp. it was roasted at 400 for about 40 minutes but i pulled it when the internal hit 140 as read by my remote thermometer. i let it rest for 7 minutes or so until it hit 150.then served it. it was the best piece of meat i've ever tasted!! the heavenly rice and peas were heavenly as well. try this on the in laws. Amazing
    Steve Whelan