Recipes from Jasper's Kitchen

Recipes from Jasper's Kitchen Cookbook

Jasper's is one of Kansas City’s famous culinary institutions. This family restaurant is a classic American success story, and one of the great outposts of the midwest; it introduced authentic Italian food to Kansas City in 1954, a time when even spaghetti and meatballs may have been exotic!

The recipes in Jasper’s Kitchen Cookbook run the gamut from staples such as grissini, aioli, and Tuscan Farm Bread to classics like Sunday Sauce, peperonata, and, yes, even meatballs. They are all easy to follow, simple recipes that obviously have their roots in the simple dishes, created from local ingredients, that characterized the classic Italian menu.

There are also sweet stories interspersed between the recipe chapters, giving you a glimpes into the life of an Italian family making it in the American Midwest. My favorite tale is the story of the lasagna birthday cake. What a way to celebrate one’s 7th birthday! Not that I would mind!

Meet Chef Jasper Mirabile

Professional chef, culinary instructor, and owner Jasper Mirabile, Jr., was one of the first Italian chefs to cook for the James Beard House in New York. He and Jasper’s Restaurant have been featured in USA Today, The New York Times, and Midwest Living. Time magazine ranked Jasper’s as one of the top Italian restaurants in America. Jasper is the chairman of Slow Food Kansas City and a national board member of the American Institute of Wine and Food. He hosts many famous chefs on his weekly radio show, has a weekly TV segment, and sells a line of dressings and sauces.
Many of my friends and family know this as “Chicken Fred.” My father spent many hours perfecting this recipe, and I am sure he would be proud that I’ve included it in this book and shared it with you.

Click here for a PDF of the full recipe

Serves 8 to 10

½ cup olive oil
6 chicken wings
5 chicken breasts
3 chicken legs
4 chicken thighs
12 Italian sausages, halved
2 medium onions, cut into very thin strips
5 red or green bell peppers, seeded and cut into very thin strips
2 cups white wine
1 (28-ounce) can finely diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 (12-ounce) can peas
2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
¾ teaspoon dried thyme
5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Heat the olive oil in 1 or 2 large sauté pans over high heat. Add the chicken and sausages and sauté for about 10 minutes until brown. Remove the meat and set it aside. In the same pan, sauté the onions and peppers over medium heat until the onions are translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Place the chicken and sausages in a roasting pan and add the wine, tomatoes (with juice), peas (with juice), red pepper flakes, basil, tarragon, rosemary, and thyme. Stir well.

Bake for 30 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and mushrooms and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until everything is thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

1 2 next

Comments

• Snooth User: luvgrapes

Thanks, Greg, for featuring someone from my backyard. The restaurant is great, but I also enjoy their deli, which is attached. Wonderful cheeses, salads, antipasti, sandwiches, desserts, and so on....
    Great for days on the run...can eat in with a glass of wine or take out. Rustic and the staff seem to enjoy what they are doing, and know everyone.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

My pleasure. Never knew about their deli. Sounds like a great resource for a summer take out wine tasting too!

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM

• Snooth User: tatwood

Canned peas. Be still, my beating heart.

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Funny. At least he's being honest, and since peas are particularity seasonal I think it's a good recco. Peas, corn, and tomatoes I can live with. And Sauerkraut too! Other than that not a big fan of the canned veggies. Asparagus has the be the most ill conceived canned veggie ever, though I often wonder who uses canned potatoes?

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM

• Snooth User: tatwood

Mr. Dal Piaz, with due respect, peas are considered 'seasonal' in the spring, because that's when they are available FRESH. Canned peas are never considered 'seasonal.'

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Yes, as i wrote Peas are considered Seasonal, thus recommending canned peas in a printed recipe published in a cookbook is a good idea.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM

• Greg--Bechamel sauce recipe was not included--I have my own but would be interested in the version that they use at the restaurant.

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I've just added the Bechamel recipe! Thanks for pointing out the omission JT

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

• You lost me at the canned peas. Gag!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM

• Snooth User: GKeyser

Jaspers Restaurant truly is the gem of Kansas City. The restaurant has incredible and authentic Italian food as well as homemade limoncello. Thanks for the article.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM

• Thank you...love this place, so great-choice kudos to you. Our Shawnee Mission East High School Reunion is this summer in KC...this is a great reminder of growing up there. Oh yes, we will be seeing Jasper's! (and saving recipes!)

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Canned peas have to be one of God's reminders to us of human frailty and the limits of our existence. They are no better than canned spinach or green beans, and Greg you lost me when you said they're acceptable, though I am in agreement on canned tomatoes and corn. Frozen peas I can live with. The only excuse for canned peas is when you're stuck in a cabin in the outback with no stores within days of trekking.

Other than that, great choice, once again, of an interesting cookbook. I haven't thought a single one you've recommended to be weak...

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM

So far so good i guess!

Ok, with a moment to think I can't recall using canned peas, but rather frozen peas. I responded before really thinking about canned vs. packaged.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

• So...let me explain the canned peas. This was my father's recipe and he loved canned peas...so to honor him I kept the recipe intact. He also made an old Sicilian pasta dish with canned peas, olive oil, garlic, onions and oregano...delicious but I will not mind if you use fresh or frozen peas...just enjoy the recipe. I am so honored to have the cookbook reviewed. Salute! Jasper Mirabile Jr.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM

• I am an American living in Italy and my goal is to perfect each "Italian" dish by region before moving back to the USA. Thank you for sharing these recipes on your site. Could Mr. Mirabile tell us what region these dishes are from? The "pollo alla Frederico" sounds Sicilian. Ciao!

May 01, 2010 at 2:44 AM

• Snooth User: teoctom

Ms-Adventure,
    Sounds like Mario Batali may be a soul mate. I envy your effort and wish you well. The pollo alla Frederico recipe looks great. I'm sure you could use fresh peas when available. Thanks for the info.

May 01, 2010 at 7:39 AM

• Snooth User: JohnD54

With regard to the Chicken Fred, a bunch of stuff goes into the roasting pan. Where do the onions and peppers go?

May 01, 2010 at 3:15 PM

• JohnD54 Onions and peppers should all be placed in roasting pan...thanks for catching this.

May 02, 2010 at 1:48 AM

• Ms-Adventure Yes...it is a Sicilian inspired dish. My parents are both from Sicily. Grazie!

May 02, 2010 at 1:49 AM

• Snooth User: Trivett

The recipe sounds delicious.
    I cannot have the potatoes nor the mushrooms;
    Anything else I could substitute?
    ( :
    B

May 02, 2010 at 8:50 AM

• Snooth User: Trivett

I prepared your basic recipe this evening sans the peas, potatoes and mushrooms.
    It was delicious.
    ( :
    B

May 02, 2010 at 10:50 PM

• Snooth User: monalisa

my family is sicilian and my parents never missed an opportunity to dine at Jaspers when they were in kansas city - for a high school graduation gift they took me along on one of their road trips and of course Jaspers was on the the agenda - I had a dish that I will never forget - it had lobster and maybe risotto in a sauce that was to die for - I mopped up the very last drop - I would love to know what I had and how to recreate it - this goes way back to the early 1970's Jasper's original location - elegant an experience I will always cherish

May 04, 2010 at 7:54 PM