Super Snacks for the Super Bowl

Big Easy Baked Wings and Circle City Rackettes

With the Super Bowl looming I think it's was time to share to some of my favorite recipes for the greatest game watching snacks on earth: Wings and Ribs!

Now getting real Bar B Q ribs at home is impossible without a smoker out back but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy some finger lickin good baby backs, and just because we lack a deep-fryer in our kitchens doesn’t mean we have to to wing deprived come game day.

For these Super Bowl snack my motto is KISS, not the band though their song Shock Me might be appropriate if you start getting heavy handed with the spices. No, I am, of course referring to Keeping it Simple, and not necessarily calling anybody Stupid, but that’s how the saying goes.

So how does one make great wings and ribs at home with a minimum of muss and fuss?

Gregory Dal Piaz is a proponent and admirer of a broad range of wines and styles. During his decades of collecting and tasting he has discovered that a wine need not cost a fortune to drink well. Feel free to ask him questions at the Snooth Forums where he regularly engages with beginners and experts alike.
Well the truth is you just have to improvise. Instead of deep-frying our wings we’ll be parboiling them and then backing them, same for the ribs. While this seems to violate my KISS plan the truth is a little extra work up front will make both the ribs and wings taste better and leave you more time to watch the game.

Both recipes are a little on the spicy side so will pair well with beer and light, crisp whites. On of my favorite wines for these types of dishes (spicy, fatty, intensely flavored) is Txacoli from the Basque region of Spain. Txacoli is a very light white wine, usually with a tiny bit of fizz that cleans the mouth and refreshes the palate. If you can find one I highly recommend it for game day!  If not you can right ahead and pair your favorite white or rose with both the ribs and the wings. The ribs are also red friendly, particularly when paired with something like a fresh Garnacha from Spain, Sangiovese from Italy or Zinfadnel from California. I think the key to a successful paring here is to try and keep the wines light, fruity, and refreshing.

So enjoy these Super Bowl snacks while rooting for your team,and check out next week’s email for a pair of Super Bowl inspired recipes!

1 2 3 next

Comments

• Snooth User: gosius

Sorry, I tried this recipe and found the result to be inedible. Perhaps a much lighter touch with the smoked paprika would do but it will be a loooooong time before I try this one again. Too bad because it looks so good on paper.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I just published this, how could you have tried this?

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:28 PM

• Snooth User: DidLittle

Jeez, that's a fast turn-around. I logged on 4 minutes after you replied to gosius, and there you were. I'll be trying this recipe tomorrow - no need to wait for a game!

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I just happened to be checking something. It's all the timing!

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM

• If you were to use a charcoal BBQ with a wood chip box instead of the oven with the ribs would you reduce the parboil time?

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Hi Moreorless. If I had a grill i would probably eliminate the parboiling step, though that would change the way the marinade effects the meat. It would be interesting to hear your results and to be honest I think you'd be just fine following the recipe and grilling the ribs up. I tried to make this as easy as possible for game day!

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM

• Snooth User: StockBoy

Worse wing recipe I've ever read. Just bake them until just firm, then toss in wing sauce (Franks), grill, re-toss in sauce, and serve.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM

• Snooth User: StockBoy

Who has a perfect "wing WINE" ???

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

"Inedible", "worst wing recipe I've ever read". Jeez, guys, what kind of illness is spreading through cyberspace?

I cook a lot, get complimented by all sorts of people who know these days, and even got paid for doing so back when, and though I haven't cooked up these recipes I don't see any problem with them.

So what's your agenda, gosius and StockBoy?. Why not be up front about it?

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

In your second post, StockBoy you ask a very good question. Not always an easy dish to match, and obviously depends on the spices you use. A dry Alsatian gewurtztraminer or well-balance German riesling? Cotes du Rhone, or a Tavel rose?. Blast away with a massive Aussie Shiraz? Pale ale or pilsner? A nice, tart margarita? All have worked for me in the past, but it definitely depends on the sauce...

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM

• I'm an avid wing fan and while frying is traditional and personally preferable, there are other ways to make a great wing. I've not tried the parboiling method but plan to in the near future. It uses the same premise as Alton Browns steaming method, which works wonderfully, so I must assume it yields the same great results.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:56 PM

• Snooth User: moldavi33

If you want a red wine with wings, the best way to go is Carmenere. Trust me on this one.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:16 PM

• I did not author this, unless there is another Charles Rizzo that writes for Snooth. However , I believe the recipes are interesting and worth trying.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM

• I meant to offer that there may be another Charles Rizzo that contributes to snooth other than myself. dmcker & moldavi33 offer interesting wine & beer pairings with the afformentioned recipes.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:12 AM

• Snooth User: MosGran

When it comes to party food for the masses the wing is the thing. Here in Baltimore we are getting a rep for the Chesapeake wings which are seasoned with OLD BAY of course. I like the idea if the wing recipe but I don't think the parboiling is needed if you marinate the wings overnight ( I use cajun spices and natures seasonings) making sure that all of the skin surface is seasoned , I place the wing parts on a foil covered cookie sheet and bake in the oven on 400 for maybe 30-40 minutes or less depending on the size of the wings. As long as you are baking them one layer and not touching they crisp up fine.Remeber to turn they wings. As for the wine Relax Reisling is perfect as it is generic enough to appeal to the masses and it will not break the party budget. Hope the game and your parties go as you plan. Goldie

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:21 AM

• Snooth User: Philip James
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

Charlie - i think its a typo on our part, i think Greg authored this piece. I'll let him know...

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:22 PM

• For a bunch of guys who enjoy fine wine, there are a lot of sour grapes out there! What's all the rage about a few receipes? Or are ribs and wings a highly personal guy thing?

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:19 PM

• Snooth User: arnieswine

I made the ribs last night for dinner, they were delicous! they could have used a little more moisture (dipping sauce?) but they were yummy

Feb 01, 2010 at 1:15 PM