The Secret to Successful Grilling

What to pair with your favorite grilled dishes

Next » 1 of 8
The Secret to Successful Grilling Grilling season is upon us and along with not having to do dishes (HooooRahhh! And you wonder why men love to grill), we also have to recalibrate our wine parings. You see, the secret to successful grilling is making sure the wine that you serve with your meal is good. That’s mostly because grilling is almost always successful. No dishes = success!

The grill adds that special, smoky, charry, grilly (okay, make sure you clean the grill with all the time you’ve saved not doing dishes) flavor to foods and that changes the groups of wines that can pair with our favorite proteins and veggies. Pronounced oak, which adds some sweetness to a wine, as well as spice and wood notes, can really work well with your grilled food.

The flavors of the grill tend to cancel out the most egregious oak tones and that little edge of sweetness can come in handy batting the almost ubiquitous (but rarely required) saucing that seems to have become part of the grilling equation.

With this in mind, let’s take a look at some of the greatest summer whites for Grill Season: 2011!

Photo courtesy Health.com

Comments

• Snooth User: Mark Angelillo
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

Damn GDP - why must you mock me and my lack of grill? This makes me want to spend a weekend in the country.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM

• Snooth User: TomG

Hi Greg - a question and a suggestion:
    - question: I usually grill a mix of vegetables of all three types (tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, eggplant, peppers, squash, etc.) What would you suggest for a wine to work with the lot?
    - suggestion for grilling fish: I've never been able to get my grill clean enough or well-oiled enough to keep fish from sticking. Two things have helped. One is to put a piece of heavy-duty foil, just big enough to hold the fish, on the grill before I start it, then slice the foil between the grill rods so that each is covered by a strip; then pinch the strips around the rods so that they're loosely wrapped. The other thing is to let the grill heat up completely before putting the fish on. As the metal rods heat up, they expand and if the fish is on while this is happening, the skin bonds to the metal. I usually get the grill hotter than I want, then put the fish down to get nice grill marks, then immediately reduce the heat to cooking temperature. Hope this helps!

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM

For grilled vegetables, especially if some good olive oil is involved, I've never found a better wine than Barbera. Even a Barbera with some age works well here. You've got all that succulent acidity and the oak in the wine can be matched by all the smoke and char created by grilling your veggies.

Nice tips for grilling fish, both very effective. Thanks for contributing!

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:09 PM

• We love grilling at our house but I don't know where you come up with the idea that there are no dishes to do. If you are entertaining with wine and great grilled food then you need beautiful dishes to serve it in. Just saying.....

Aug 04, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I manage to get through with few to none, though admittedly while not entertaining. One trick I've developed for some of my meals is to use flour tortillas over a plate, you then get to eat up the mess!

Aug 04, 2011 at 10:32 AM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

Sure, you eat on dishes, but pots and pans are reduced. Major advantage to the grill.

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

• wine for spare ribs and brots

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM