3 Man Pleasing Recipes For Football Season

Game time treats for your hubby

When it comes to taste in men, I am happy to say that not only do I love the way they taste, but I have good taste in them too. My husband is the kindest, most loyal and devoted man you could ever hope for. This is a man who brings me coffee in bed every single weekend morning. He actually even gets a bit upset if I get up out of bed before he has a chance to do so. I am a lucky girl.

So, how did I snag this incredible man of mine? Well, first of all, let’s just go there and say that I am very good at taste testing. The size of the rock on my finger can attest to that. Secondly, I know how to cook man food, and more or less specialize in it. Even better, football watching man food. I already spilled my secrets when I told you all about my Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. It’s all about balls, spice, sauce and sausage.
Well, here I go again. I am still going to keep the sausage in my pocket for later (I promise to bring on the sausage in the future), but otherwise? Here are three great saucy, spicy, ballsy recipes for your own Tasty Tiger. Or Tigress.

Chipped Beef Ball

Two (2) 8 oz. blocks of cream cheese, room temperature
1 bunch of Spring Onions, finely chopped, whites and greens
2 packages of low sodium Chipped Beef, finely chopped and divided

Reserve half a cup of the chopped chipped beef. In a separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients and mix together well. (Use your hands, for Pete’s sake! Get in there!) Form mixture into a large ball shape and then roll ball in the reserved chipped beef to coat the exterior. Serve on a platter with crackers.
Note: Chipped Beef can be tough to find in some areas. If the only kind you can find is not low sodium, you can just rinse some of the salt off before using. Be sure to pat dry, of course.

Reuben Dip

¾ lb. of corned beef from the deli, chopped into ¼” pieces
½ lb. of Swiss cheese, chopped into ¼” pieces, reserving 3 slices
½ lb of Provolone cheese, chopped into ¼” pieces, reserving 3 slices
1 14.5 can of sauerkraut, well drained
½ cup Thousand Island dressing
½ cup mayonnaise
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
Rye bread, cut into fourths

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8” x 8” baking pan with non-stick spray. Combine the mayonnaise, Thousand Island dressing and cream cheese in a small bowl. In a large bowl, combine the corned beef, Swiss cheese, provolone and sauerkraut, then mix in mayo mixture.  Spread into baking dish and top with reserved cheese slices. Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and cheese is well melted. Serve with rye bread.
Note: You can also make this in a slow-cooker. Cook on low for two hours and then keep warm in pot to serve.

White Trash Potatoes

Some people may know this as O’Brien’s Potato Casserole, but C’MON, this recipe has cream of mushroom soup, a ton of butter AND Corn Flakes. It is white trash at its finest. Embrace the white trash.

1 bag of fresh shredded hash browns (like Simply Potatoes, etc.)
1 small onion, finely diced
2 small cloves of garlic, minced
1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
4 oz. sour cream
1 stick butter, melted and divided
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you can take the heat)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ cups crushed Corn Flakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8” x 8” baking dish with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients EXCEPT the Corn Flakes and ½ of the butter. Mix together well and then spread into baking dish. Cover the top with crushed Corn Flakes and drizzle remaining butter evenly over the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the Corn Flake topping is golden brown. Let sit five minutes before serving, if you prefer to keep the roof of your mouth intact.

Comments

• Snooth User: drehn
    520454 20

The "joke" opening your email is highly inappropriate indeed. Making someone else's tragedy the butt of your highly questionable humor is tasteless and offensive. I expect far more from this web site.

Oct 07, 2011 at 5:37 PM

• Snooth User: chriscage

we don't need anymore people who can't take a joke to make yet another conservative comment on a website.....just forget about it if you don't like it and read the article for the delicious sounding food please!

Oct 07, 2011 at 7:13 PM

• I am very sorry if my joke was offensive, and I know that my sense of humor is definitely not for everyone. I am my father's daughter, and grew up at his feet, listening to Redd Foxx records, so I can be a bit twisted. Again, sorry to have offended, and the joke has been removed.

Chris, thanks for sharing a smile, and I truly hope you try the recipes, and that they don't clog your kind heart too much. They really are some fun, stick to your ribs, football watching munchies. Thanks for your support.

Oct 07, 2011 at 7:50 PM

• Snooth User: TTdeadhd

I wouldn't have expected a joke any less offensive from someone who is giving us a recipe for "white trash potatoes" :-) which by the way sounds terrific. Your humor is much appreciated and to those who can't take a joke for what it is....lighten' up!!!

peace
    tom

Oct 07, 2011 at 8:54 PM

• I want the joke...to hell with that guy.

Oct 07, 2011 at 11:02 PM

• I would like for you all to come over for a White Trashtastic dinner, which would also feature my husband's favorite WT meatloaf made with Lipton soup mix and my WT Eclair Cake made of graham crackers, pudding, and a can chocolate frosting. We'll listen to old Redd Foxx records and drink Boone's Farm all night, just like Kid Rock done tole us to do in that summer song of his. Thanks everyone! xoxo

Oct 07, 2011 at 11:28 PM

• Snooth User: loratora

First, I'm a liberal who really enjoys the occasional dirty joke. Dawn's opening statement described hers as highly inappropriate so it seems a little silly to be surprised that some people would be offended by it.
    Next, what I find even more objectionable is the reference to the size of the ring on her finger. Who cares?
    Finally, what's the most offensive are the three ridiculously trite recipes she posted. Maybe this was another example of one of her inappropriate jokes.

Oct 08, 2011 at 11:16 AM

• Snooth User: nascar18

As a conservative, I loved the joke!! Sounds more like a Liberal who was "offended"....no sense of humor! I love the "white trash potatoes" can't wait to try them and rock on Kid Rock!

Oct 09, 2011 at 12:11 PM

• Left wing/right wing, the only wings I want to talk about are the Buffalo kind! Thanks so much for your support, and I really hope that despite my sense of humor not being everyone's taste, that you will try these recipes out, as they are really ones we love in our home. I know they're not gourmet by any stretch, and never claimed for them to be. I certainly have some of those up my sleeve as well, and hope to share them in the future. Thanks again for those with kind words.

Oct 09, 2011 at 3:00 PM

• Snooth User: flybaby5
    442032 0

I loved your article, joke and all! Keep writing and posting entertaining reading and fabulous recipes!

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:24 AM

• Thanks, FB! You are so kind, and I promise to keep writing and passing along recipes. My sense of humor is hard wired, so I promise that this tiger won't change its stripes, and will also keep tasting men...ha!

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM

• As the daughter of a long distance trucker, I know how your sense of humor can get a little "colorful" just by association. I appreciate what you do, get the "white trash" self named moniker ( AFAI can tell, true white trash don't know that they are just that!) and figure that some people need to get over themselves.
    I'm also a wanna be- culinary school grad- even though I cook for a living, run a culinary classroom and have even published works in food history and general food topics- you caught my attention with your recent experience and I look forward to reading more. Thanks a ton, and you go girl!
    Channon M

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM

• Thanks so much, Channon! Much like you, I appreciate the finer things in life, and can even cook some of them. I am equally as comfortable at a cotillion as I am at a low country boil, and appreciate all of them for what they are. I think it is important to embrace all of it, and to let your hair down as much as possible. Thanks again...xoxo

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM

• Give us the joke, get rid of "Kid Rock" (non-talented poser) and send all the trashy liberals to the curb. Lets have some fun!

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM

• Forget right-wing vs. left-wing--some folks are just acting like wing-nuts! Thanks for making me laugh AND salivate, DDB!

Wait, who is having Kid Rock over for dinner? May I come?

Nov 02, 2011 at 7:08 PM

• Wingnuts...ha! You are welcome for the laugh and the drool, Dr. M. If I have Kid Rock over, I'll be sure to sent an invitation, I promise. I'll probably need someone there to help finish the fried squirrel dinner I'll have to make for him.

New article coming soon, I hope!

Nov 02, 2011 at 7:30 PM