What Wine with Burger King?

Answering that Age-old Question!

Next » 1 of 13
What Wine with Burger King? It's time for Round Four of our probing investigative series on Fast Food and Wine Pairings! I'm actually beginning to understand more about these pairings. Well, more about fast food to be specific, and how they in turn affect the wines. Our lineup this time around focused only on different styles of both red and white wines served up with a broad range of your favorite Burger King dishes.

As I've mentioned before, this series is about having some fun. Fun on my part for undertaking a project that seems at odds with so many self-proclaimed wine experts' sensibilities, and fun for those of you out there who might want to pair a glass of wine with your Burger King, no matter what the reason. I say, let's do it and if we're gonna do it, let's do it well. So onto the grand event!

Comments

• I think you are on to something here: wine should be fun, and why not pair it with the ordinary? Almost everyone knows these flavor profiles, so it gives an immediate point of reference (vs. traditional writing on food-wine pairing, it's a lot of imagination to get a picture of the food and wine quality in your head). I'm sure that was your point ;-).

We did a week long series on our blog pairing rose' with ordinary picnic food. It was fun, and we learned a lot in that process. http://localvinacular.blogspot.com/...

Aug 04, 2011 at 10:53 AM

• Snooth User: Kirsy

This is an awesome experiment. I second Vinacular's thoughts. Now I am so looking forward to lunch: a bottle of Wolftrap with the BK Stacker and some chicken fries. Ready to experience the spice war! haha

Aug 04, 2011 at 11:04 AM

• I love it. (Not BK- the Article) Even if I don't eat BK or fast food for that matter, now I have a ton of ideas of how to pair greasy foods and burgers at the next grilling. thanks!

Aug 04, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Thanks for the great comments, they pretty much sum up my point here.

Wine should be fun and accessible. The truth is I do not eat a lot of fast food, but many people do, so why not let them explore wine and learn about it on their own terms, not 'the expert's'.

And the fact remains that I learned about wine pairing while doing this. Those who rail against these articles, and there are many, should stop for a moment and consider if maybe they might learn something as well if they tried to think outside their comfort zone.

Aug 04, 2011 at 11:15 AM

• Snooth User: Leah Mansback

Since I just started eating meat (some) again after three years of vegetarianism...maybe I should start with Burger King and wine. Why not? Thanks for the tips Greg!

Aug 04, 2011 at 11:46 AM

• Snooth User: GregAtchley

Great information. I recently was stumped regarding a bag full of gnarl from Whataburger. I finally gave up. Disgusted and bloated. Since then I've decided to venture down the vegetarian road that Leah (above) has recently ended. After spending years becoming an accomplished (at least in my mind) barbecue master and dedicated carnivore, I'm ready to grill something different.

Anyone for a portobello mushroom burger?

Aug 04, 2011 at 12:11 PM

• Snooth User: Nicki Gig

love Stump Jump - a great Aussie red for it's value!

Aug 04, 2011 at 12:35 PM

• Snooth User: courgette

I'm a longtime vegetarian (L/O), and was hoping you'd include the BK Veggie Burger... BK is one of the few fast food outlets to feature a viable option for vegetarians (NOT vegans). I can't stomach those cakey buns, though. Still, I'd say the contents (a Morningstar Farms garden patty, with standard tomato/lettuce/mayo) would be fine with a Spanish rosé, like our current favorite, the 2010 Cruz de Piedra garnacha ($6.99 at Costco!).

Aug 04, 2011 at 1:54 PM

• Snooth User: courgette

@GregAtchley, I've had just about every vegetarian "burger" to hit the market in the last 20 years, and recently was astonished by the Gardein offering: http://www.gardein.com/products.php...

It's one of those faux-meats that are a little too convincing for a lot of vegetarians, but I find it tasty and fun. Nice with my other favorite Costco bargain, Evodia Old Vines Garnacha. A grilled portobello mushroom is always nice, but in your new veg-hood you'll soon find that it's the default vegetarian offering at most restaurants. I never thought I'd resent a mushroom, but I do-- especially when it's been "marinated" in too much vinegar! Try matching a wine with THAT.

Aug 04, 2011 at 2:01 PM

• Snooth User: hlopez99

The wine world needs more brave and adventurous guys like you, totally agree with you, wine and food are supposed to be fun.
    Keep on!!!!!!!!!

Aug 04, 2011 at 4:49 PM

• Snooth User: GregAtchley

@courgette Thanks for the burger tip. I'll be sure to check that out. Regarding p'bello mushroom world, you're right...things can get a bit one dimensional if you're not careful. And, yes, the vinegar can get in the way. Thankfully I haven't given up fish which, combined with other veggies, I'm still managing to keep my grill quite busy. And regardless, nothing gets in the way of my wine!

Aug 04, 2011 at 4:54 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Once again, Greg, a tip of my cap. You seem to be hitting your stride, now, as you get further into the series. And I know where you're coming from on that fishburger. What wine went with their sketchy onion rings, anyway?

Aug 04, 2011 at 6:10 PM

• Snooth User: Stephen Harvey
    220753 1,449

Burger King is old under the Hungry Jacks Label in Australia. I have to admit I prefer to buy my burgers from the local takeaway shop rather than the two big burger chains. I tend go for Beer and Burgers, because....well....habit I guess. When I was much younger it was burgers and coke [or chocolate flavoured milk] and once I was legally drinking it was burgers and beer.
    Actually something like Stump Jump would be good with a burger but Beer just seems to go better for me
    Probably the same with that other great American takeaway - Hot Dogs, I love Hot Dogs and beer at sporting events

Aug 05, 2011 at 12:32 AM

• Snooth User: outthere

Great job Greg. Though I would never waste even a bad wine, or for that matter my hard earned money, on Burger King I applaud your efforts.

Aug 05, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Thanks guys.

Coming up next, not quite sure but In n Out burger is on the horizon. I'm getting more fast food doing this series than I've indulged in over the past decade, but it's all for a good cause, and to be honest i am learning more about how to pair wine with this stuff!

Never stop learning, never stop trying.

Aug 05, 2011 at 9:05 AM

• For a great burger wine, try something Red that can be well chilled and delivers enough fruit and tannin to stand up to Ketchup and other burger add-ons... I suggest Casabella House Jam Red. It delivers on the flavor and ads sparkling refreshment to wash down the burger.

Aug 05, 2011 at 2:38 PM

• I really do love champagne with junk food - the bubbles and the acid are great to cut through the fat. I also always think of Myles in Sideways drinking Cheval Blanc with his fast food burger. Don't sacrifice your wine! :) I did a similar little post: http://grapefriend.com/2011/07/19/w...

Aug 06, 2011 at 9:45 AM

• Also, I gave a quote for a Wall St Journal article on drinks and fast food - if you're doing more in this series, might be helpful? Good luck! Fun series... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...

Aug 06, 2011 at 9:46 AM

• I think we did this 40+ years ago, Red Mountain with Jack-In-The-Box deep fried tacos. We were on to something indescribable, then and now.

Aug 06, 2011 at 6:33 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

Red Mountain was some scary stuff, RT. Saw more friends back then go down to it then malt liquor, sloe gin, rum, Boones Farm and any other two forms of liquor you'd care to choose, combined....

Aug 06, 2011 at 9:24 PM

• This is awful!
    I don't think, that a burger or other fast food is bad - it can be great.
    Homemade or in a good restaurant/diner!

But how deep do you want to sink to promote Burger King and wine?
    Artificial assembled chicken protein? Mass produced beef - eventually loaded with MSG and meat tenderizer? Really???

Why not pairing it with a really cheap wine refined with some "oh so good Cool Aid"?

Aug 09, 2011 at 10:06 PM

• I like the idea...Keepin BK Classy.
    calwineries.com/blog