Pairing Wine with Pizza

7 wines go up against 4 popular pizzas

« Prev Next » 5 of 13
Domino’s Pepperoni Pizza

The pepperoni used by Domino’s is not particularly aggressively flavored, so the overall flavor profile didn’t change that much. There was just enough difference to nudge some wine into and out of the sweet spot.

Both winners with the plain pizza, the Pinot Grigio and the Zinfandel, still worked fairly well, but both showed their softer sides. The Pinot Noir smoothed out nicely, but lacked the flavor intensity to show much. The Barbera began to come on strong, actually loosing some of its fruit, but really brought the pepperoni flavor to the fore.

The Chardonnay was a bit of a soft mess here, leaving the Chianti and Lambrusco vying for top honors. The Chianti added lovely red berry fruit and a hint of spice to the palate, while rounding out nicely. The Lambrusco was clear, cleansing and refreshing on the palate, which made for an ideal pairing.

Comments

• I bet you had fun "researching" this article. I have actually never had a Lambrusco, but now I want to get a pizza and bottle and try this pairing out. Is Lambrusco better chilled or room temperature?

Nov 08, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Lambrusco, being a lightly sparking wine, is usually better a bit chilled, but to around 55F, not refrigerated. Most are a bit sweet though firmly red wines so getting them too cold highlights there soft tannins and smothers the fruit. I hope you find and enjoy one. Also great with salami and the like!

Nov 08, 2011 at 10:51 AM

• In the store we carry one, and it's called Barbolini. Have you ever heard of that?

Nov 08, 2011 at 11:07 AM

• My second comment disappeared.... Thanks for the information. In the store we carry one called Barbolini Lambrusco. Have you heard of that one?

Nov 08, 2011 at 11:07 AM

• Snooth User: EMark

Very interesting article.

Thank you, Greg, once again you are there for us. Your research is invaluable and appreciated.

Nov 08, 2011 at 1:52 PM

• Snooth User: jalfieri

You said Pizza, and then you said Domino's. Which is it? Major non sequitur.

Nov 08, 2011 at 3:44 PM

• Arrrrrrrrrgh! WHEN are people going to step outside of the white wine box and recommend/try something other than chardonnay and pinot grigio???? So boring! How about chablis or vedicchio or vouvray or viognier? Or my personal favorite, Gruet? Red is not the only color of wine that has variety.

Nov 08, 2011 at 3:55 PM

• Snooth User: Sallyha

Call me weird, but I like champagne with pizza. I told that to an Italian and he didn't laugh - says some Italians have prosecco with theirs.

Nov 08, 2011 at 5:59 PM

• I agree, Sallyha. Gruet is champagne, although it can't be called that technically, since it is produced in the U.S.

Nov 08, 2011 at 6:19 PM

• Snooth User: Sallyha

Hi Snoother, I didn't know about Gruet but I understand that as in Australia we must refer to it as sparkling wine.

Nov 08, 2011 at 6:22 PM

• There are also some great 'stuffed' pizzas out there, about 1" thick with crust on both sides. Definitely worth trying. I live near one purveyor in Williamstown, NJ - Giuseppi's - which makes one that can satisfy a small army for $ 22. Deep reds, even simple, magnify the experience.

Nov 08, 2011 at 7:20 PM

• Snooth User: cellarat

I really do believe that red wine red sauce too much red when I sit down with my favorite pie Samosky's in Valley City Ohio I will always try to have a bottle of sparkling wine chandon blanc noir is one of my go to bubblies it melds so wonderfully with the acid from from the red sauce and quells the saltiness of the ham and anchovies,

Nov 09, 2011 at 5:40 AM

• Snooth User: teddz

Sorry, gang, but I tend to follow tried and true traditions and drink what Italians most often drink with their pizza: BEER.
    There are just too many other food and wine pairings out there that merit some attention. Not this one.

Nov 09, 2011 at 9:52 AM

• What a bizarre selection of wines to try with Pizza!

One I find offers the best value match, is Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, time after time. Its red, it comes from Italy, and is perfectly able to deal with cheese and tomato, and any herby toppings.
    Yet its simple enough and usually cheap - dont let that put you off. I find wines of the east coast to be underpriced

Nov 09, 2011 at 10:42 AM

• Am I right in believing that Papa Johns does not use Mozzarella in its "pizzas"?
    If so, should you be advertising it as pizza?

Nov 09, 2011 at 10:45 AM

• Snooth User: nyjazzman

Are Papa John's and Domino's paying for this piece? Having grown up in New York and eating PIZZA how could you even mention that crap! I'm sure that there is good and maybe even great pizza outside of New York ( we recently had a terrific pie in Sutter Mill, California with a local Sangiovese)but using those manufacturers as examples in an insult!

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:33 PM

• Even though it was last tasted thirty years ago when I was a youth, I can still taste real New Jersey Italian pizza by the slice, by using my imagination, here in England.

nyjazzman is right to complain!

And right about Sangiovese, which always pairs well with cooked tomato sauce

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:54 AM

• Snooth User: Fabiocubo

@teddz: being Italian, and loving pizza (goes without saying...), I can confirm that you'd be hard pressed to find wine on a pizzeria table, beer being by far the favorite pairing, with Coke (sic) a close runner-up. Still, a Lambrusco Secco (not Amabile) would be a good choice as well. In the end, though, I believe it's the pizza itself that makes the difference, and US- and genuine Italian Pizza are so different that as Cole Porter said: Anything Goes!

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:29 AM

• Snooth User: ZoeSimon

I had to try a pairing that night! Lambrusco and NY-style pizza. It was fabulous.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

jazzman, I assume Greg mentioned the chains because that would be relevant to the folks who live outside NYC. Frankly, I think another piece might be in order for pizzas more purely Italianate--in tokyo I live in easy walking distance from four pizzerias that take their inspiration from Italy, rather than North Amreica. Domino's, Pizzahut and their ilk exist, but never make the cut at my household either. I usually end up having chiantis and barolos and pinot biancos with mine, though a few chards from Israel and elsewhere, as well as champagne and cavas and proseccos and southern Italian whites and even an occasional Rhone (even syrahs from WA) enter the mix. One or two of those pizzerias make me think of those I've had in Campania--most often with seafood....

Greg, hilarious rant by Stewart. Thanks for the link!

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM

• Snooth User: Isaac42

Weird. I lived in Italy for two years, and never once saw an Italian drink beer. Must be a different part of Italy.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM

• Give Pizza Chants with Nero D' Avola.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM