The Key to Pairing Wine and Cheese

Learn the tricks of the trade

« Prev Next » 2 of 7
Marsala

When most people think of Marsala, they probably think of veal or chicken sauteed and then finished off with the slightly sweet Italian wine know as Marsala. That’s certainly a valid and popular impression of what Marsala might be and one good use for it, but Marsala, like almost every wine, has a more generic example as well as some particularly exceptional bottlings.

Marsala is a fortified wine, similar to Sherry in many ways in that it reaches its peak when carefully aged. The best examples often are vintage dated or are soleras (barrel aged wines of multiple vintages) that have ages of 10 or even 20 years noted on the label.

With this level of maturity, the generally delicate in nature Marsala becomes intensely flavored with notes of almonds, dates and figs. All of these are happy to pair with cheese, particularly ripe, well aged wash rind cheese, though their high acidity and relatively light body makes them particularly adept with a myriad of pairings.

Photo courtesy of madlyinlovewithlife via Flickr/cc

Comments

• Snooth User: Wendy Crispell

All good choices. Overall my first choice is sparkling wine for cheese pairing. From soft, fresh, creamy cheeses to hard salty offerings the bubbles help cut the fats and cleanse your palate for the next bite. If crafting a seriously stinky cheese plate an off dry slightly sparkling Moscato d' Asti can be fabulous.

May 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

• Snooth User: ArtDVike

I am completely on the other spectrum, when pairing wines with cheese. A full bodied Cabernet, or Old Vine Zin is perfect with a small wedge of Parmasian cheese. The spicier the better for me.

May 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

• Snooth User: lakenvelder

Riesling is most definitely my favorite wine with cheese and is usually my to go type of wine I bring when I go to a meet up wine tasting. I usually bring an Edam but I like a nice chevre at home.

May 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM

• Snooth User: ada76

It's so fascinating pairing cheese & wine and discover new tastes.
    What about a Moscato di Trani?
    Have a look at http://www.moscatotrani.it.
    Two similar yet very different experimental sparling moscato and a surprising dry excellent with both soft and aged cheese. It's best expression with Irish oysters.

May 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM

• Snooth User: Coolbada

Love the picture of Chateau Ste Michelle Reisling. One of our favorites, and a great value! Pairs VERY well with Brie! Enjoy!

May 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

• White port surprsied me with its versatility at dealing with a cheeseboard.

The French cheeses have a website somehwere (via google) THAT LISTS IDEAL COMPANIONS TO EACH TYPE.

May 21, 2012 at 7:02 AM

• Snooth User: newtonsue

I find that pairing cheeses with wine work well when your adjectives for the wine are similiar to how you would describe the cheese! A couple of examples are a Sauvignon blanc that is citrusy, floral and tart pairs well with Chevre [ citrusy and savory] and a creamy, buttery chardonnay pairs well with a buttery double cream Brie!

May 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM