The Key to Pairing Wine and Cheese

Learn the tricks of the trade

« Prev Next » 5 of 7
Riesling

Perhaps one of the greatest cheese friendly wines, Riesling often has it all: a bit of sweetness, bright acidity, sweet fruit flavors and if the wine has some age on it, a nice array of savory elements. All of this adds  up to a wine that can match well with many cheeses. The generally lighter character of many Riesling really give flexibility for the freshest, buttery cheese or hard aged examples to blues, the wine stumping cheese!

One of the maxims of food and wine pairing is to try to match the intensity of the dish with the intensity of the wine. This is where the many components of Riesling come into play. With so many aspects available to compliment or contrast with the flavors of the cheese, Riesling is able to highlight one aspect of a cheese without dominating the scene.

Photo courtesy of Daniel C Bentley via Flickr/cc

Comments

• Snooth User: Wendy Crispell

All good choices. Overall my first choice is sparkling wine for cheese pairing. From soft, fresh, creamy cheeses to hard salty offerings the bubbles help cut the fats and cleanse your palate for the next bite. If crafting a seriously stinky cheese plate an off dry slightly sparkling Moscato d' Asti can be fabulous.

May 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

• Snooth User: ArtDVike

I am completely on the other spectrum, when pairing wines with cheese. A full bodied Cabernet, or Old Vine Zin is perfect with a small wedge of Parmasian cheese. The spicier the better for me.

May 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

• Snooth User: lakenvelder

Riesling is most definitely my favorite wine with cheese and is usually my to go type of wine I bring when I go to a meet up wine tasting. I usually bring an Edam but I like a nice chevre at home.

May 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM

• Snooth User: ada76

It's so fascinating pairing cheese & wine and discover new tastes.
    What about a Moscato di Trani?
    Have a look at http://www.moscatotrani.it.
    Two similar yet very different experimental sparling moscato and a surprising dry excellent with both soft and aged cheese. It's best expression with Irish oysters.

May 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM

• Snooth User: Coolbada

Love the picture of Chateau Ste Michelle Reisling. One of our favorites, and a great value! Pairs VERY well with Brie! Enjoy!

May 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

• White port surprsied me with its versatility at dealing with a cheeseboard.

The French cheeses have a website somehwere (via google) THAT LISTS IDEAL COMPANIONS TO EACH TYPE.

May 21, 2012 at 7:02 AM

• Snooth User: newtonsue

I find that pairing cheeses with wine work well when your adjectives for the wine are similiar to how you would describe the cheese! A couple of examples are a Sauvignon blanc that is citrusy, floral and tart pairs well with Chevre [ citrusy and savory] and a creamy, buttery chardonnay pairs well with a buttery double cream Brie!

May 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM