The Key to Pairing Wine and Cheese

Learn the tricks of the trade

Comments

• Snooth User: Wendy Crispell

All good choices. Overall my first choice is sparkling wine for cheese pairing. From soft, fresh, creamy cheeses to hard salty offerings the bubbles help cut the fats and cleanse your palate for the next bite. If crafting a seriously stinky cheese plate an off dry slightly sparkling Moscato d' Asti can be fabulous.

May 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

• Snooth User: ArtDVike

I am completely on the other spectrum, when pairing wines with cheese. A full bodied Cabernet, or Old Vine Zin is perfect with a small wedge of Parmasian cheese. The spicier the better for me.

May 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

• Snooth User: lakenvelder

Riesling is most definitely my favorite wine with cheese and is usually my to go type of wine I bring when I go to a meet up wine tasting. I usually bring an Edam but I like a nice chevre at home.

May 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM

• Snooth User: ada76

It's so fascinating pairing cheese & wine and discover new tastes.
    What about a Moscato di Trani?
    Have a look at http://www.moscatotrani.it.
    Two similar yet very different experimental sparling moscato and a surprising dry excellent with both soft and aged cheese. It's best expression with Irish oysters.

May 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM

• Snooth User: Coolbada

Love the picture of Chateau Ste Michelle Reisling. One of our favorites, and a great value! Pairs VERY well with Brie! Enjoy!

May 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

• White port surprsied me with its versatility at dealing with a cheeseboard.

The French cheeses have a website somehwere (via google) THAT LISTS IDEAL COMPANIONS TO EACH TYPE.

May 21, 2012 at 7:02 AM

• Snooth User: newtonsue

I find that pairing cheeses with wine work well when your adjectives for the wine are similiar to how you would describe the cheese! A couple of examples are a Sauvignon blanc that is citrusy, floral and tart pairs well with Chevre [ citrusy and savory] and a creamy, buttery chardonnay pairs well with a buttery double cream Brie!

May 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM