Winning Wine Pairings - McDonald's

How to pair wine with Mickey D's

« Prev Next » 10 of 11
And the reds...

On the other hand, if you’re set on a red, look towards the middle of the road, again something with modest oak and mild fruit seems to work fairly well.

My pick for a wine that will be passable with most of the menu has to be a nice fruity, but not obviously sweet rosé, though a bit of sugar might have helped out a bit here. It’s not the perfect match but it works, and a casual meal like McDonald's really deserves a casual wine!

What’s up next? Well stay tuned, but let us know what iconic fast food dishes you want to see here next!

Comments

• Snooth User: tonystro

Wine, needless to say, is best enjoyed when paired with food; a good pairing elevates the dining experience as well. It's the proverbial marriage made in heaven. Your article is pure crapola; pairing wine with the artery-clogging garbage sold at MacDonald's is tantamount to putting a pearl necklace on a pig.

Jun 08, 2011 at 2:34 PM

• Snooth User: Mark Angelillo
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

This slideshow is hilarious, GDP. Love the satire! Thanks for the laugh.

Jun 08, 2011 at 3:44 PM

• Snooth User: dmcker

A tough job, Greg, but somebody at Snooth's gotta do it, right? Hope you got hazard pay for the task.

Not the wines I would choose, but have to admit I have had wine with MickeyD's, Burger King and even KFC on more than one occasion. It does liven the meal, and can be a decent match, as you showed. But why is it I can make better versions of the same dishes at home, pretty quickly and simply?

Oh, and did I miss a match to the fries? Didn't see one... ;-)

Jun 08, 2011 at 3:51 PM

• Very interesting! I love it. With two young children I have become way more familiar with McDonald's than I ever thought I would be. Although I don't think my local McDonald's allows wine to be brought in, I will keep your test results in mind the next time we grab take-out. Very entertaining article!

Jun 08, 2011 at 4:22 PM

The fries paired well with the Prosecco. I forgot to take the pick at the end. And while hazard pay is in order, none was provided but as you say, someone had to do it.

I was actually pretty surprised by the Chicken sandwich and the Angus with the Malbec was as good pairing as I could imagine with this. So good in fact that I might even try it again, at home, with a GDPburger!

Jun 08, 2011 at 4:25 PM

• Snooth User: Kate Statton

I'm with cindycycle, maybe McDonald's should go BYO. Would've added a whole new element to Super Size Me.

Jun 08, 2011 at 4:30 PM

• Snooth User: winetastinginLA

I think I might just have to try my own pairings taking in some of the results from your hard work. Why re-invent the wheel right? I always love reading your blog. Thanks.

Jun 08, 2011 at 7:40 PM

• Snooth User: Fontessa

I am a new reader at Snooth, so this article was certainly a surprise. But it wasn't nearly as surprising as the vitriol expressed by some commenting on McDonalds. It makes me wonder if they are as nasty about pizza, which is every bit as unhealthy as fast food burgers.

Jun 08, 2011 at 9:48 PM

• Snooth User: sspade
    192711 4

Any discerning wine drinker should stay as far away from McD's as possible

Jun 08, 2011 at 10:45 PM

• Mc Donalds smells bad, and is rubbish food designed to smother up your overproduced subsidised corn, soy and sugar crops.
    Damn right we are hostile. Check out Slow Food and check out the real foods that are disappearing, which have proper flavours, are made by artisans, and not some evil process.
    To make the nuggets, they use the whole chicken carcass, beak, nose, arse etc is pulverised into a sieve until a stinking paste emerges. Its then cleaned with ammonia, but that makes it smell chemically so they suffuse it with chicken flavour. Hey presto! Reconstituted chicken! Great with wine?

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:57 AM

• Snooth User: Isaac42

Oh, come on. Everyone knows that the proper wine to drink with a fast food burger is a 1961 Cheval Blanc!

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM

• Snooth User: gcoleii

@Fontessa: wheat flour, tomatoes, and whole milk cheese is unhealthy? Enjoy a slice of superior pizza with a fresh salad and a nice wine and you will live a long happy productive life. Order on-line from a TV commercial and you get what you deserve.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM

• Snooth User: a4naught

+1 on the vitriol comment. Get a grip, people! I loved the commentary, regardless of whether I want to eat McD's, AND it was written lightly and thoughtfully instead of with misplaced righteous indignation over another issue entirely (food production methods/healthfulness/"realness"). I loved it. Thank you Snooth for going to the place most of us mortals have gone (yes, fast food), but allowing us the practical whimsical idea that wine might actually improve even this type of food experience. Thank you also to the person who mentioned pizza, by way of comparison! So right on.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM

• Snooth User: McPetey

Bah! McD's fries rock! But then I don't drink wine for my health either. I thank Gregory for the series and all of the readers for their great comments. Funny stuff!

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM

• Snooth User: shsim

Interesting article! I wish you did something with say Five guys burgers or In&Out on the west coast! The so called better alternative fast food. Slow food still rules!

Mar 04, 2012 at 10:53 PM

• Snooth User: Odile53

Actually, this isn't a bad idea. A few slugs of some red wine might mitigate the effects of some of those coronary-clogging cholesterols and trans fats! And if you start with the wine, it might even make McGarbage's offerings taste acceptably good, IF you drink enough wine and use your imagination!

Apr 06, 2012 at 9:04 PM