Beer-Braised Beef and Onions
- 1 (5-pound) boneless beef chuck roast, tied
- 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 (12-ounces) bottles pilsner-style beer such as Budweiser
- 3 pounds onions
Halve onions lengthwise, then slice lengthwise 1/4 inch thick. Pat beef dry and season all over with 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wide 5-to 6-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown beef on all sides, about 15 minutes, then transfer...