Braised Beef and Onions
- 2 (2-lb) well-marbled boneless beef chuck pot roasts (1 ½ inches thick)
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 ½ lb onions, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced lengthwise (6 cups)
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Special equipment: heavy-duty foil
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. 2. Pat meat dry. Stir together allspice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl and rub all over meat. 3. Spread half of onions and half of garlic in a 13- by 9-inch roasting pan and arrange meat on top. Spread rema...