Salt-and-Pepper Beef Roast
- ¼ cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup prepared horseradish
- 4 to 6 pounds boned, tied beef cross rib (chuck) roast
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground pepper (see notes)
1. Rinse beef and pat dry. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup salt and sugar. Rub mixture all over beef, set in a rimmed pan, cover, and chill 3 to 4 hours. Rinse meat and pat dry; if desired, cover and chill up to 1 day. 2. In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and horseradish. Set beef o...