Chestnut and Wild Mushroom Stuffing
- 2 ½ cups sandwich bread, such as rye, sourdough, or pumpernickel
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 ½ cups wild mushrooms
- 1/3 pound fresh chestnuts
- + 6 more ingredients
- *If fresh chestnuts are unavailable, frozen will work. Avoid using sweetened jarred chestnuts.
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 10 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350°F. Using chestnut knife or sharp paring knife, make large X on flat side of each chestnut through shell but not meat. Soak chestnuts in bowl of warm water to cover by 2 inches for 15 minutes, then drain well. Arrange chestnuts in 1 layer in shallow baking pan, then roast in mi...