Butterflied Chicken Dijon Grilled on a Bed of Thyme
- 4 bunches (about 2 oz. total) fresh thyme, soaked in water for at least 30 min.
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- ¼ tsp. paprika, preferably smoked sweet Spanish (pimentón)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3-½- to 4-lb. chicken (I prefer organic)
- 2 scallions (both white and green parts), thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. dried herbes de Provence
- + 2 more ingredients
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
Place the chicken, breast side down, on a flat surface. Using poultry shears, cut along each side of the backbone and remove it. Flilp the chicken over and press firmly on the center of the breast to break the breastbone. You can see a video of this technique, called butterflying, here.