Butterflied Chicken Dijon Grilled on a Bed of Thyme
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. dried herbes de Provence
- 2 scallions (both white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 3-½- to 4-lb. chicken (I prefer organic)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ tsp. paprika, preferably smoked sweet Spanish (pimentón)
- + 2 more ingredients
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 4 bunches (about 2 oz. total) fresh thyme, soaked in water for at least 30 min.
Place the chicken, breast side down, on a flat surface. Using poultry shears, cut along each side of the backbone and remove it. Flilp the chicken over and press firmly on the center of the breast to break the breastbone. You can see a video of this technique, called butterflying, here.