Butterflied Chicken Dijon Grilled on a Bed of Thyme
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. dried herbes de Provence
- 2 scallions (both white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 3-½- to 4-lb. chicken (I prefer organic)
- 4 bunches (about 2 oz. total) fresh thyme, soaked in water for at least 30 min.
- + 2 more ingredients
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ tsp. paprika, preferably smoked sweet Spanish (pimentón)
Place the chicken, breast side down, on a flat surface. Using poultry shears, cut along each side of the backbone and remove it. Flilp the chicken over and press firmly on the center of the breast to break the breastbone. You can see a video of this technique, called butterflying, here.