Japanese Chicken Yakitori
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons sake (you can substitute unseasoned rice wine vinegar)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons mirin (found in ethnic food stores and many larger supermarkets)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1. Whisk 2 tablespoons each of the soy sauce, mirin, and sake in a large bowl. Add the chicken, toss gently to coat, and refrigerate for 1 hour. 2. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1/4 cup each of the soy sauce and mirin, and 2 tablespoons each of the sake and sugar. Bring the mixture ...