Spit-Roasted Chicken with Tarragon Butter
- 4 oz. (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest plus 1/8 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus 2 large sprigs
- 1 3-½- to 4-lb. whole chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prepare a gas or charcoal grill fire for indirect grilling over medium-high heat (400°F). If using a charcoal grill, bank the coals against opposite sides of the grill, parallel to the spit. Put a 9x13-inch foil drip pan on the charcoal grate between the banked coals and fill it halfway with wat...