- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ½ head (about 1-¼ lb.) Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (include some greenish leaves), large ribs removed
- 4 slices smoked bacon (preferably applewood smoked)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup homemade or low-salt vegetable or chicken broth; more as needed
- 2 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
Heat a large, straight-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon slices and sauté, turning, until crisped. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain; when cool enough to handle, crumble and set aside. Drain all but 2 Tbs. of the fat from the skillet. Add the onion, reduce the heat t...