Roast Chicken with Lemon and Tarragon Butter
- 1 (3- to 4-lb) quartered chicken
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 500°F. 2. Stir together butter, zest, tarragon, salt, and pepper. 3. Pat chicken dry and arrange, skin sides up, in a shallow roasting pan (1 inch deep). Loosen skin on chicken by gently working your fingers between skin and meat, keeping skin attached on 1 side and being car...