- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (4 ½- to 5-pound) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- Kosher salt
- 1 (1-ounce) fresh black winter truffle, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Madeira or port wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
Combine the butter and wine in a small bowl. Coarsely chop about half the truffle slices, add to the butter mixture, and stir to combine. Separate the chicken skin from the meat by sliding your fingers underneath the skin, being very careful not to tear it. Evenly distribute the butter mixture ...