Fried Turkey Recipes
Deep fried turkey has become quite popular over the years, despite the risk of fire that goes along with it. Before I discuss pairing wines with a deep fried turkey, I must give warn that deep frying a turkey can be extremely dangerous and should only be attempted in a safe area. Do not try it on your porch or asphalt driveway.
Unlike typical fried chicken, the turkey is not battered or breaded before being deep fried, so it is not as greasy as one might expect. One of the great advantages of a deep fried turkey is that it is juicier than a typical roasted bird. That juiciness comes from some added fat, so when pairing with a deep fried turkey you will be better served by a wine that is both richer and higher in acidity than one used for a roast turkey. Chardonnay remains a good option, though a cool climate version would work better than a richer, buttery style. Other great options to consider include Chenin Blanc, particularly from Vouvray, and Rhone-styled Roussanne/Marsanne blends, which can have a lovely nutty quality that is similar to the flavors of fried turkey skin. This nice flavor bridge helps the pairing work.
Alternately, deep fried turkey can also be paired with lighter, fresh red wines. Pinot Noir is an easy option.
Top fried turkey recipes
All Fried Turkey Recipes
Braised Broccoli with Turkey Sausage
1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, cook sausage patties in a single layer, turning once, until well browned on both ...
Campanile's Spaghetti and Meatballs in Red Sauce
1. Make sauce: In a 5- to 6-qt. pan, cook oil and garlic over medium-low heat until garlic softens, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper....
Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole
Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until softened, 5 minutes. Add turkey, Worcestershire an...
Couscous Salad with Turkey and Arugula
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous and raisins. Cover, remove from the heat, and...
1. In a bowl, mix turkey, egg, mushrooms, cabbage, water chestnuts, green onions, cornstarch, ginger, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, oyster sauce, wine, ...
Deep-Fried Turkey with Garlic Lemon Marinade
Add all of the marinade ingredients to a small saucepan. Stir the ingredients over medium heat and cook until all the ingredients have dissolved ...
Egg Noodles with Turkey, Bacon, and Rosemary
1. In a large frying pan, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towe...
Escarole Soup with Turkey Meatballs
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the turkey, eggs, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper ...
Fettuccine with Turkey and Brandied Mushrooms
1. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Season the turkey cutlets with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper....
Fried Turkey with Southern Rub
For the rub: Combine the rub ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside. For the turkey: Remove the bag of giblets and the neck from i...
Green Bean and Bacon Potato Salad
Cut turkey bacon into bite size pieces and fry in a large skillet until crisp. Remove turkey bacon from skillet and place on paper towel to remove ...
Green Bean Casserole
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in half of French fried onion rings. Spoon casserole mixture into a lightly greased 2- or 3-quart...
Hot Turkey Curry Salad
1. In a 12-inch frying pan or 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir oil, onion, ginger, and garlic until onion is limp, about 8 minutes. Ad...
Hot Turkey Sandwiches
1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 cups water to a boil. 2. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Add to boiling wate...
Place torn bread in a small bowl and cover with milk. (Push bread down so it all gets moistened.) Let soak until most of the milk is absorbed and b...
Monte Cristo Sandwiches
In a wide, shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk to combine. Lay a slice of bread on a work surface and top with 1 slice turkey, 1 slice cheese, 1 slice...
Penne with Turkey, Arugula, and Sun-Dried-Tomato Vinaigrette
1. In a blender, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Blend until a paste for...
Puebla-Style Fiesta Turkey in Mole Sauce
Combine all ingredients in large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until turkey is just cooked through, skimming foam, about 35 mi...
Smoky Turkey and White Bean Chili
Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a heavy-duty 6-quart pot over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Season the turkey with 1-1/2 tsp. salt and 3/4 tsp. ...
Spaghetti and Meatballs
For the meatballs: Place torn bread in a small bowl and cover with milk. (Push bread down so it all gets moistened.) Let soak until most of the...
Best Wine Deals
VINTJS Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel (2012)Reviewed
Fonseca Porto 10 Year Old Tawny (2013)Reviewed
Laraia Gavi (2008)Wishlisted
Jasci Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (2011)Wishlisted
What have you bought lately?Replied
All about OakReplied
Licor Legui (NV)Listed
Della Robbia Rosso Semi-SweetRated
Mas la Plana Torres Penedes Bottle (2006)Wishlisted