Roasted Fresh Ham with Citrus and Rye
- ½ cup fresh sage
- Fresh ham is available by special order from your butcher.
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup rye whiskey
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 12-pound fresh ham, cut from the shank end
- + 4 more ingredients
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth (optional)
Using a utility knife or a sharp knife, carefully score skin of ham at 3/4"-1" intervals in a crosshatch pattern, taking care to cut just through skin and fat, not into the meat. Whisk sage, 1/4 cup salt, orange zest, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Rub salt mixture all over ham. Transfer ...