Machuquillo de Platanos
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 barely ripe (slightly yellow) to semi-ripe (yellow with some spots) plantains
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ¼ pound rindless meaty salt pork or thick-sliced bacon
- about 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
1. Mince garlic and in a small cup combine with 2 tablespoons oil. Let garlic mixture stand, covered and chilled, 1 to 2 hours. 2. Cut salt pork or bacon into 1/4-inch dice and in a small bowl combine with 1 cup water. Let salt pork or bacon stand 30 minutes and drain. 3. In a small heavy sauce...