- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lb. 2 oz. (4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ oz. (4-½ tsp.) active dry yeast, preferably Red Star brand
- 8 oz. (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces, slightly softened; more for the pans
- ½ oz. (2 tsp.) table salt, plus a pinch for the egg wash
- 4 oz. (½ cup) whole milk, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, plus 2 large eggs and 1 large egg yolk for the egg wash
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt on low speed until well combined. Add 4 of the eggs and the milk and continue mixing on low speed to combine. As soon as the dough starts to clump together, remove the paddle attachment and attach the dough ...