Back to Basics! Making a Great Pastry Cream | The Kitchn
- Check out this innovative way of making pastry cream, via Spain -
- I've never heard of making pastry cream with flour, it's always been cornstarch. Is there a benefit/downside to making it with one or the other?
- What kinds of things have you done with pastry cream?
- To make a chocolate pastry cream, melt a handful of chocolate (about 2 ounces) into the pastry cream in the last minute of cooking.
- Slowly pour in the warm milk while whisking the egg-sugar mixture constantly. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan.
- In one of the mixing bowls, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and thick. Whisk in the flour and salt.
- + 1 more ingredients
- 1 ½ cups whole milk or half-and-half
You also might like
Best Wine Deals
Brandini Langhe Arneis (2010)Listed
Orin Swift Locations E Spanish (2011)Wishlisted
Château de Beaucastel White Rhone Blend Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc (2010)Wishlisted
Castello di Querceto Il Pichio Riserva Italia Toscana Punaviinit Castello di Querceto DOCG Chianti Classico (2003)Listed
Querceto Chianti Riserva (2006)Listed
Il Conte d'Alba Stella Rosa Moscato d'Asti D.O.C.G (NV)Rated
Cantine Due Palme Rosso Salento IGT Susumaniello Serre (2012)Reviewed
Abbazia di Novacella Kerner (2012)Reviewed
Mockingbird Hill Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (2006)Wishlisted
Terrapura Carmenere (2011)Rated