Back to Basics! Making a Great Pastry Cream | The Kitchn
- Check out this innovative way of making pastry cream, via Spain -
- I've never heard of making pastry cream with flour, it's always been cornstarch. Is there a benefit/downside to making it with one or the other?
- What kinds of things have you done with pastry cream?
- To make a chocolate pastry cream, melt a handful of chocolate (about 2 ounces) into the pastry cream in the last minute of cooking.
- Slowly pour in the warm milk while whisking the egg-sugar mixture constantly. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan.
- In one of the mixing bowls, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and thick. Whisk in the flour and salt.
- + 1 more ingredients
- 1 ½ cups whole milk or half-and-half
You also might like
Best Wine Deals
Indigo Hills Merlot (2001)Wishlisted
Texas Hills Vineyard Toro de Tejas (2009)Listed
Let's Get Geeky: Obscure Greek Wine GrapesCommented
Numanthia Termes (2011)Wishlisted
Bogle Vineyards Zinfandel Old Vines (2013)Reviewed
Whatcha drinking tonight?Replied
Chateau Landat Haut-Medoc Cru Bourgeois Vieilles Vignes (1998)Reviewed
Vestini Campagnano Kajanero Terre del Volturno (2011)Rated
De Bortoli Shiraz Db Selection (2009)Wishlisted
Jacob's Creek Shiraz Reserve (2010)Wishlisted