Basic Cream Sauce (Besciamella)
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1-¾ cups whole milk, heated
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbs. unbleached all-purpose flour
- Small pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-½ oz. (3 Tbs.) unsalted butter
In a 2-qt. saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let the mixture brown. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and bring just to a simmer, whisking frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cook, whisking often, until the sauce h...