- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 sweet, firm apples, such as Rome Beauties or Empires-peeled, cored, and cut into 8 to 10 wedges
- 1/3 cup rum or 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
To make it... Turn on broiler. Toss the apples with the lemon juice, butter, and all but 2 tablespoons of the sugar. (Can be made to this point up to 1 day ahead. Store in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate.) Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Broil the apples about 8 inches from ...