Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Chives
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 6 to 8 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt
- 3 lb. russet potatoes (4 to 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-½- to 2-inch chunks
- ¼ cup thinly sliced chives (1 small bunch)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover by an inch with cold water. Add 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, partially cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a skewer, about 20 minutes. Drain, and return the potatoes to the saucepan. ...