Cheddar and Scallion Grits
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup grits (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated white Cheddar
In a medium saucepan, bring 4 1/4 cups water and the salt to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly add the grits in a steady stream. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the grits are thick, creamy, and pulling away from the side of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the Cheddar and sti...