Cheddar and Scallion Grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated white Cheddar
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 cup grits (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
In a medium saucepan, bring 4 1/4 cups water and the salt to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly add the grits in a steady stream. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the grits are thick, creamy, and pulling away from the side of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the Cheddar and sti...