Chile Relleno "Soufflé"
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 corn tortillas (6 in. each), cut into 1-in. pieces
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ pounds whole green chiles (Anaheim or New Mexico)
- Hot sauce and/or salsa (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- + 3 more ingredients
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ pound queso fresco or jack cheese, grated
1. Preheat broiler. Arrange chiles in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil until charred on all sides, turning chiles as necessary. Wrap in foil and let sit 15 minutes. Remove charred skin, stems, and seeds. Chop chiles and set aside. 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a large frying pan ...