Chili-painted Portabellas in Puff Pastry
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons prepared oyster sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons puréed canned chipotle chilies (see notes)
- 1 sheet (10 in. square) frozen puff pastry (half of a 1-lb. package), thawed
- 4 portabella mushrooms (3- to 4-in.-wide caps; 10 to 12 oz. total), cleaned (see below), stems trimmed flush with caps
1. Unfold puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured board; cut into quarters, each 5 inches square. Roll out each slightly into a 6-inch square. 2. In a small bowl, mix oyster sauce and puréed chipotle chilies. Brush mixture generously over both sides of mushroom caps, using it all. 3. Center each c...