Fig, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh goat cheese (3 ½ ounces), room temperature
- 8 thick slices country bread
- ½ pound ripe fresh figs (about 8), stemmed and thinly sliced
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until onions are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes more (if skillet begins to darken, add cup water). 2. Divid...