French-Style Grilled Ham & Gruyère
- 6 oz. coarsely grated Gruyère
- 8 slices (¼-inch thick) egg bread, such as challah or brioche
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard; more for serving
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- 4 tsp. salted butter, at room temperature
- 4 thin slices (about ¼ lb. total) Black Forest-ham
In a small bowl, mix together the cheese and tarragon. Butter all the bread slices on one side only. Put four slices, buttered side down, on a cutting board. Distribute the cheese over the bread and top with the ham, folding the slices if they’re large. Spread about 1-1/2 tsp. mustard on the unbu...