- ¼ cup lightly packed finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Tbs. (½ cup) salted butter, softened
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely minced or grated on a rasp-style grater
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 medium loaf artisan-style bread with a tight crumb (I like wide bâtard shapes, not baguettes)
Heat the oven to 425°F. In a food processor or a large bowl, combine the butter, Parmigiano, oil, garlic, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Pulse a few times to blend but don’t overprocess or the butter might separate. If mixing by hand, mash together with a fork or a wooden spoon....