Gorditas de Piloncillo (Sweet Fried Masa Cakes)
- 2 ounces finely chopped piloncillo
- 1 pound fresh masa, or 1-2/3 cups masa harina mixed with 1 cup hot water
- 3 ounces queso añejo or ricotta salata
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground canela (cinnamon)
- Lard or vegetable oil, for frying (about 2 cups)
Combine the piloncillo, cheese, and canela in a bowl and knead in the masa until uniformly distributed. Add a bit of water if it feels too dry or a little masa harina if it's too sticky. Shape the dough into 12 even balls.Place enough lard in a heavy pot to reach a depth of least 3 inches and hea...