Green Olive Tapenade Toasts
- 1 baguette or other good French bread, cut diagonally into ½ inch-thick slices
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil; more for brushing
- 4 tsp. grappa (optional)
- ¼ cup salt-packed capers, rinsed and finely chopped 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (1 lb.) fruity green Frenchstyle olives, pitted
- 2 whole salt-packed anchovies or 4 oil-packed anchovy fillets
If using salt-packed anchovies, rinse them well with cold water. With the belly side up, run your finger from the head end down through the tail, removing the viscera and exposing the backbone. Lift out the bones. Soak the fillets in cold water for about 20 minutes and pat dry. Mince the anchovie...