Higgledy - Piggledy Lasagna
- 1 onion
- 1 10 oz package frozen spinach or 1 lb fresh spinach, chard or other greens
- 1 jar pasta sauce, about 26 oz, or use homemade
- 1 carton ricotta or small-curd cottage cheese, 15 or 16 oz.
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) fennel seeds, coarsely ground (optional)
- 8 ounce(s) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- + 5 more ingredients
- 4 clove(s) garlic, or 2 teaspoons garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1 pound(s) short pasta (penne, macaroni, rotini, etc)
- 1 pound(s) ground meat (beef, pork, turkey, lamb)
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh basil, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh oregano, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried, crumbled
Preheat oven to 400. In a large pot, bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. While the water heats, chop the onion and garlic. Mix meat with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, fennel seeds (if using), basil and oregano. Thaw frozen or cook fresh greens. (Microwave works well for...