- 2 oz. kosher salt (½ cup if using Diamond Crystal; ¼ cup if using Morton)
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt with live cultures
- 1 gallon whole pasteurized milk
- ¾ tsp. calcium chloride
- ¼ tsp. lipase powder, preferably calf
- 1-½ oz. kosher salt (6 Tbs. if using Diamond Crystal; 3 Tbs. if using Morton)
- ¼ tsp. liquid rennet
Sterilize all the equipment you will need for this first day of work. Clean all counters with hot soapy water or an antibacterial wipe. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt with 1/2 cup of the milk. In a deep 8- to 10-quart pot, heat the remaining milk over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally wit...