Mushroom Consommé with Morels and Pastry "Hats"
- 2 pounds fresh white mushrooms, chopped fine (preferably in a food processor)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- ¾ ounce dried morels* (about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup Sercial Madeira
- + 4 more ingredients
- 2 tablespoons 1-inch pieces fresh chives
- a 17 ¼-ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets (2 pastry sheets), thawed
- an egg wash made by beating 1 large egg with 1 teaspoon water
- *available at specialty foods shops and by mail order
1. Make mushroom consommé: In a 6-quart stockpot or kettle combine consommé ingredients and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours. Pour consommé through a large fine sieve lined with a rinsed and squeezed paper towel into a large saucepan, pressing gently on solids, to yield about 5 cups consommé (if yield...