- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ pound Tipperary cheese or sharp white cheddar, diced small (about 1/3 inch)
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- ¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus 2 teaspoons for skillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
1. Bring potatoes to a boil in a pot of lightly salted water. Reduce heat, and simmer until fork tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well. 2. While still warm, push potatoes through the large holes of a ricer, or use a potato masher to mash them until smooth (you should have 2 1/2 cups). Stir butter...